'95 Buick Century front struts

The car is approaching 130K miles and I'm thinking it's time to replace the front struts.

Does anyone have a ballpark idea how expensive this will be?

Reply to
Michael Golden

I am sure your struts are worn out by now.. The last time I did this job, a couple of years ago, I ended up paying about $80 for the strut cartridges, and did the job myself. It cost me about $50 to have the front end aligned after the replacement of the strut cartridges.

If you take it to a dealership, I would estimate you would pay about $230 total for the cartridges, another couple of hundred for the labor and alignment. (Those are the prices the dealership quoted on the cartridges when I did mine) So guess on about $450-500.

An independent might be intermediate between those very rough figures.

Reply to
hls

Thanks.

Are there different kinds of struts, or are they all pretty much the same?

Reply to
Michael Golden

The dealership struts on the models I have done are essentially the same as you can get at the FLAPS.. When I complained about the high price, the service manager told me, in fact, that I could buy the same units at the NAPA store for a fraction of the price. And I did.

I did not go the effort to see if Bilsteins were available for these cars.

Reply to
hls

Don't get performance struts. They will shake the car apart.

Reply to
Paul

Quick struts are your best bet as a DIYer. Pre assembled with new springs, basically plug and play. A few more bucks than just cartridges but no compressing springs, new top bearings,etc. .

Reply to
Repairman

Thanks. I hadn't heard of these.

Reply to