'97 Surburban Won't Shift From Park

I can't get my column shifter to move out of park. At first this only occurred occasionally, but now it won't shift at all. It has nothing to do with being on a hill.

Does anyone know if there is a switch that may have gone bad or something? Also, now the "Service Engine" light has come on.

Thanks, Charles

Reply to
Charles Thomas

This info taken from 1995 Monte Carlo repair manual, should be similar for your Chevy. Check the stop lamp switch on the brake pedal and the brake transmission shift interlock solenoid for proper operation.

Gear selector in park. Ignition switch to 'RUN'. Disconnect stoplamp switch. Check for voltage on Brake Transmission Shift Interlock solenoid (maybe PPL/BLK wire) I'm not sure where this is located on a column shift. If you get voltage there is a short somewhere.

Reconnect Stop Lamp Switch. Depress brake pedal, check for voltage coming out of the switch (PPL wire maybe) If yes, stoplamp switch is bad or out of adjustment. If no, solenoid is bad or binding.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
Bobo

Charles,

I know this sounds kind of dumb, but did you hit the brake before you tried shifting out of park? And yes, it must be done in this sequence.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude