98 Saturn SC1 Loud Noise when turning Hard Left (Steering Issue)

I purchased a 1998 Saturn SC1 today with 135,000 miles on it. The car drives great, the engine is strong, no leaks. It is a 5 speed and it shifts perfectly. One thing happened after I got it home and started driving it around town for a few errands.

Basically, when I turn hard to the left whether for a U-turn or just a really sharp left turn (More than 90 degrees), I hear a loud clunk or clanking noise. It does not do this with an extreme turn to the right. Only an extreme turn to the left. I noticed it can be exacerbated over bumpy roads or uneven gravel drives.

I went to a junk yard to pickup a part, and when I had to leave I backed up and then made a hard left before making a hard right out of the parking lot. It made the loud noise when I was in the parking lot turning left, but not right. What was realy strange is when I pulled up

to the stop light about a mile down the road, I caught a yellow light and had to brake harder than normal. It made a "light" clank as if whatever was goofy in the steering was shaken a bit by the hard stop. While waiting for the light to change I decided to turn the wheels to the left and it made a louder "Pop" or clank than what it did when I stopped. I then made a left turn at the light and had no problems. As a

matter of fact I made two more lefts on the way home, but they were "moderate" lefts and so there was no Clank or Pop.

My dad and I changed the Drive Belt, so while I had it up on the jacks I cranked the car and turne the wheels both ways and there was no noise. My dad did a basic inspection of the steering and axle and saw nothing unusual. So obviously the weight of the car is playing a role in the popping noise.

We did a basic look at the strut mount and with the car sitting still bounced the car up and down on the right side (Audibly where the noise seems to come from when I am turning hard to the left). The strut is good and the strut mount appears to be solid. It is definitely not torn.

The CV Boots on the car appear to be good.

Is this something in the Rack and Pinion steering system? I am worried to death that I bought a great running car with a great transmission and I am going to have to replace the whole steering system!! I am probably just over exagerating, but I get really paranoid when a car makes loud noises, especially under stress. It makes me think I am going to pull a U-Turn and the whole front axle is just going to come off in the middle of the street!!!!

Any info would be great!!!

Reply to
ayoung002

uccoskun

Reply to
dwall8

We test drove a used 2001 Staurn LW300 with 74000 miles on it from a used car dealer only to find the same clunk noise you describe in the steering. Their service manager went on another test drive with me & determined the problem was the intermediate steering shaft. They replaced the shaft, we bought the car & the steering has been smooth as silk so far. We have owned the car for about 10 months now with no problems. Hope this helps.

Reply to
dwall8

Reply to
ayoung002