Auto-Mate alarm problem

Greetings,

I have a 1996 GMC Savana conversion van by Autoform (Glaval). I purchase this van two years ago used from a Ford dealer.

Recently, the door won't lock when the alarm is activated. The key-fob says Auto-Mate on it with DEI on the back.

The van has power locks that function normally when operated manually. When I press the arm button on the key-fob the parking lights blink, there is a "boop", the alarm activates, but the doors do not lock.

I activated the alram while inside the van and the lights on the door lock buttons illuminate when I activate the alram, and again when I deactivate the alarm. I also hear a "tick" (tick tick) like a relay is clicking when I activate the alram (sounds like under the dash) and two ticks (tick tick - tick tick) when I deactivate the alarm.

The Ford dealer won't touch this because they say it is aftermarket and not a factory repair. They say the power locks are operating normally. They sent it out to a GMC dealer and they said the same thing.

My guess is I lost a fuse or a wire somewhere. Anybody know where I can look or find a wiring diagram?

TIA

skulker

skulker

snipped-for-privacy@easynews.com.yourpants

email replies remove .yourpants

Reply to
skulker

The alarm module has the outputs marked on the case. I had the same type of problem with my 95 Autoform. The original install was a joke no good connections and cheap crimps. I went through mine and repaired them with all new sealed stuff. You just need to figure out where the module is and look at it usually it is behind the trim panel under the steering column. DEI has a lot of info on their website (they make most of the high end systems)

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

DEI is actually Directed Electronics Inc. Maker of Viper, Clifford, Hornet, Avital and a couple of other car alarm brands. Their website is

If you know what model you have you can see their ownersand install guides here:
Fromthe symptoms you are having, I would suspect a failing power door lockrelay. It most usually is located on the driver's side near the steeringcolumn. Any reputable auto alarm shop should be able to locate it andreplace it for you for less than 25$.

Reply to
Fernando

Thanks to all who responded. Armed with your information I will delve into the problem and report my results.

Thanks again!

skulker

snipped-for-privacy@easynews.com.yourpants

email replies remove .yourpants

Reply to
skulker

Thanks again to all who replied either via USENET or email.

I found my alram module under the steering column. Lo and behold - a connector had come loose. I plugged it back in and everything is functioning properly.

I will tied down the cables more securely....