Bought a Toyota today.

A 100K warranty isnt worth a damn unless the garages accept it, and can fix the problem, and your time isnt worth a crap.

Reply to
<HLS

You should have bought a car.

Reply to
Oil Can Harry

Well I think he said it was for his wife so she probably would have been happy with a card board box with wheels.

Reply to
Oil Can Harry

Actually, it is 85% American content. You guys can debate exactly what that means.

Reply to
Howard Cohen

Many and most are electrical. But includes transmission, wheel bearing hubs, alternator, (red) cooling system, window motors, wiper motors front and rear, air conditioner pumps on both, recliner seat lever on passenger side, trim on both seats, wiper switch, head light switch, ignition switch..............

Reply to
Tim & Linda

My recollection is that he was comparing the Sienna to a Saturn Relay (you know Saturn, GM's "Import Intender Contender").

Based on current carsdirect.com pricing:

2006 Saturn Relay 3 van $28,295 selling price. This is a mid-level equipment package van with leather interior but.

From the same source, a 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE is quoted at $27,575. The XLE is also a well equipped leather interior model.

Check the information out for yourself.

Maybe GM has simply priced the Saturn Relay version of their not-a-minivan, minivan too high ?????

John

Reply to
John Horner

I think you information may be out of date, according to this reference (

), first digits 1, 4 and 5 all mean US assembly site with no conditioning on % US content.

Here is the NHTSA government site which details the VIN labeling requirements. I find no mention in there of content percentages:

Can you reference a document which backs the assertion that only VIN numbers starting with 1 or 4 are majority US content vehicles?

My reading of the requirements leads me to believe that any US assembled GM product will have a VIN number starting with 1G no matter what fraction of the content is US sourced.

It seems that the VIN # does not indicate the % US content and that content information is separately printed on the window stickers.

John

Reply to
John Horner

It will be maintained well, just like the late Taurus. My private friend /mechanic works for GM as a regional warranty rep. He says that Toyotas are very good cars. He was very surprised and concerned that I was able to beat the GM employee price with a comparably equiped Sienna. He also says that GM has improved their quality much in the last 10 years. When I entered the car buying age 25 years ago GM , Ford & Chrysler were pretty crummy crap.

Tell Mr. CoolJet that I did not even bother with his links. One can google any postitive and negative information on just about anything. I know plenty of people with mega miles on Yotas. By the way CoolJet, google my name. Perhaps you will learn something.

Harry, It will take about 9 years for me to get 100K miles so hang on to your e-mail.

Reply to
Howard Cohen

I'm sure it will be alive and kicking for a long time.

Reply to
Spam Hater

You're living in the past. Learn a little and bury a bit of your out of date mental blocks.

Reply to
Spam Hater

I just read an article today on the new Chev Malibu Maxx SS. A great new engine designed in Europe. What did Gm do with their designers, lay them off after preventing them from advancing GM's technology for so many years?

This was at the GM site:

Sounds like a great engine, although too big for the application, but what's that a 4 sp auto. I can't believe GM is still installing 4 sp transmissions in a car attempting to sell to this market segment. >:)

Reply to
Spam Hater

If GM management think like many here, GM IS DEAD!

Reply to
Spam Hater

Even those Korean cars GM is selling as cars.

I was told by a Toyota dealer recently that a "J" at the front of the VIN number indicates Japanese assembly. Cars they had here in Vancouver, Canada that were made in Japan were the Yaris and Prius.

Both Toyota and Honda export at least one model to Japan.

Reply to
Spam Hater

We are all quite impressed that anyone so close to the drain of the gene pool has a family! Do you know who the father is Howard?

Reply to
Cool Jet

That's very interesting Howard, since GM's warrantees for all divisions are handled by outsourced agencies! Well, you entered the group under false pretenses and you're leaving with a lie. It's poetic really. ;-)

I'm sure he did Howard. Your close friend from GM's warranty group. Riiiiight! ;-)

Of course you didn't Howard. Riiiight! ;-) No one likes reading how bad a product is that they recently bought. Howard, it's better that you not know the truth. Really. ;-)

Too bad you didn't Google before buying one of those ugly, unreliable little Siennas. You could have saved ourself a world of grief.

Why would I want to do that Howard? I have comfort enough in knowing that I have somehow made a small difference in your life. I am overwhelmed that you have spent so much of your last day in this News Group talking to me. You may want to Google my name (Cool Jet) as well. Perhaps you will learn something. Perhaps not. ;-)

Howard, that Sienna may not make 10,000 miles! Remember Howard: alt.autos.Toyota

Reply to
Cool Jet

No so, if the content is less than 70% but more than 40% it will show a '4,' as is the case with Subaru assembled in the US. If the content is less than 40% it will show a '5.' The Camrys and Tundra's assembled in the US today show a '5.' It was Honda, who actually assembles many of its vehicles in the US with American parts, that filed a complaint with the FTC about Toyota claim that their vehicles were made in America. If you look and listen closely you will see Toyota is now saying assembled in the US of world sourced parts. Vehicles made in Korea, like the Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki have a 'K'

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not too worry. GMs extended warranty is excepted by all GM dealers. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to