Brake Hoses On, Finally.

Well it finally warmed up enough ( 34 out ) to replace the original brake hoses.

Driverside wheel was the one that was getting hot so I did this side first. The connections from the hose to the mainline has never been cracked loose in 14 years. Its been soaked with Liquid Wrench for three weeks now.

First turn of the 12 mm flare wrench & the hex on the fitting on the mainline got a bit rounded off. Damn ! Studing the line it looked fairly simple to disconnect at the master cylinder and pull it down from underneath. Two plastic line holders had to be separated. Once that was done the line & hose came out easily.

I put the hex end of the main line in a vise and used a wise grip on the hose end. It came apart with ease. Then I discovered the hose end has a very thin 5/8 hex molded metal fitting of the hose end.

No problem reassembling.

Passenger side, I removed the three bolts holding the brackets to the wheel well & strut tower and removed the hose to caliper bolt as well. This gave more room for getting the wrenchs on each of the hex's now that the assembly could move about.

This time I tried turning the 5/8 flare wrench on the hose. Due to the way the hose is clipped to the bracket you really can't turn the hose to much. It broke loose. I was then able to rotate the line fitting by hand.

Waiting for a friend to come over to help bleed the brakes. I bought a bottle of Castrol Dot 4 brake fluid. boiling point is 446 degrees F.

Hey, whats this antifreeze doing on the frame rail? Where did that come from?

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,626 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face