Can't Get Brakes to Stop Squealing 2000 GMC Jimmy

I had a rear brake job done at my local Midas service center. The rear brakes had gouged out the rotors so the rotors were replaced as well. I was amazed that the rotors had such wear because the pads were not completely worn down to nothing. They (Midas) put their standard pads back on the vehicle, and soon after they started to squeal.

I took the vehicle back to Midas and they recommended ceramic pads in place of the standard pads. The vehicle was fine for about two weeks, and they started to squeal again.

My question, is anyone in this NG aware of an issue with the 2000 GMC Jimmy with rotors, pads, calipers, etc. that might be contributing to my problem?

Reply to
krider

Poorly designed el 'cheapo rotors from midas?

Sounds like cheapo rotors.

Reply to
Matt Keefer

the major cause of brake squeal is the vibration (rubbing) between the back of the pad to the caliper piston. harder pads may cause more squeal. but it is also a combination of the rotor's surface and the pads surface to reduce the amount of vibration.

a cheap cure is to use silicon glue on the backside of the pads (not the side facing the rotors). but be sure to clean the surface of any roughness/rust/dirt.

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1