Differential Capacity

Found a differential cover gasket in the garage today for Momma's 91 Cadillac Brougham ( 5.7V8 ). I guess I must of bought it a long time ago.. What is the capacity of the differential. I figure I'd change it before it gets to cold. I might change the trans oil tomorrow, changed the engine oil today. It only had 1000 miles on it since the last change in April.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,304 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Geezz, HF, I can't believe you didn't know this ...

There will be a fill hole with a pipe plug in it on the housing. Fill to just below the hole.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

The standard method used to be to stick your pinky finger into the hole. If you could feel diff oil, then it had enough.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

DS.

I had 3 RWD cars, I know all about the fill hole on the side of the differential & sticking the figer in to feel for the level or just fill till it pour out the side.

I asked how much does it hold. Believe it or not the damn owners manual actully told the capacity. 4.2 pints