5.4 V8 coolant temperature sensor question....

Asking those more knowledgeable than I, I pose the following...

The 'Auto Zone' diagnostic trouble code was for the coolant temperature sensor. Although the check engine light has not reappeared, I have notice a slight decrease in mileage, the tailpipe looks light it's running a little rich and I have a hesitation, rough idle - acts like it's getting ready to stall when I slow for a stop...AFTER the vehicle is warm.

The sending unit is up on top, very accessible but the sensor is down in the valley where I have to remove the air filter and alternator just to reach it. Have I found the correct sensor in the proper location?

1) If you know what kind of wrench or socket that makes the bends to remove this...let me know the model number so I can buy one.

2) The new sensor supplied by the dealer will not fit the present connector. Is it uncommon to have to replace the connector?

..thanks - john 200 econoline (who can answer questions on wood re-finishing, plaster repair and fly fishing but, unfortunately, not mechanicing...)

Reply to
asadi

I don't know your engine specifically but if your connector is not fitting, It is very likely you have the wrong part. My 99 explorer has a coolant temp sender for the computer and one for the temp guage. I believe there is another for the A/C.

You should not have to change wiring to put in a new sensor. Double check with the dealer that you have the right part and have them print out a copy of the parts diagram thay are looking at and show you where it is on the engine - you might be looking at the wrong one.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Reply to
asadi

My mother used to say the thought plickens. I thibk both are correct.

Good luck!

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

couple of questions for you. first: was the engine up to temp when you had the code pulled? a cold engine will generate the same code and there is nothing wrong the code can go away when the engine reaches normal operating temp. second: common on the ford 5.4L. they have a Baro sensor or barometric sensor that reads air density. the sensor is part of the mass air sensor located on the air filter box. you wont get a code for this and here is why. this sensor tells the computer the density of the air for the proper fuel mixture. if you live at sea level the air is more dense the up in the mountains. when the sensor goes bad it usually starts to read as though you were up in the mountains. common problem for people who use k&n filters because the oil from the filters contaminates the sensor. the only way to test it is to get a scanner that can read the baro like a snap-on scanner it should rear 159-160 Hz. if you are at sea level. since the car doesn't really know if your are in collorodo or Florida it has to rely on this sensor so if you are in Fl. but your car thinks you are up in the mountains you will use a lot more fuel and the engine will run a bit richer.

Back to your temp sensor. follow the upper rad hose to the >Asking those more knowledgeable than I, I pose the following...

Reply to
patcheswho