GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

As usual you do not know what you are talking about. Do a search and you will discover PTD.net is division of SECTV the oldest cable company in the WORLD, established in 1948. It is an all carbon fiber network, based in Allentown Pa, that I can connect to via satellite from wherever I am at the time. Do you want to see some picture from the 2006 Key West Fantasy Fest? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

no question, but isn't that what they are doing? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In other words you don't care if you have a tranny problem, as long as somebody else pays for the repair? ;)

If I could get a discount of several thousands dollars by not getting ANY warranty, I would take the discount. I haven't had a problem with any vehicle, foreign or domestic, in over twenty years.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yet, Toyota builds approximately 60% of the cars it sells in the US in North America. The Toyota Sienna has about 90% US content. Compared with the Ford Mustang, which is about 65% US content. Honda also has invested heavily in the US. Can you name one vehicle in the US that meets the FTC requirements for "Made in the US?" Not one does. Honda employs about 25,000 people in the US. And has hundreds of domestic suppliers. And, unlike Ford, it builds airplanes.

As for your question about Toyota building cars in the US, all manufacturers are tending to build their cars closer to where they sell them. Toyota opened a new factory in Texas in the last month or so. And more and more plants are being opened in the US by foreign auto makters.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Actually my 2007 Mustang GT convertible had a NA parts label of 80% which has nothing to do with the VIN designation. The first numbed of the VIN is a '1,' indicating built in the US with an American total content of over 70% as I explained to you on several occasions, include much more than parts. Like the Toyota based Pontiac Vibe

Honda does indeed build cars like the Accord in the US with over 70% American content and the first number of the VIN is a '1.' Nissan also builds vehicle in the US like the Titan and the first number of the VIN is a '1.' Toyota, with the exception of the Toyotas built in the GM/Toyota plant in California and the first number of the VIN is a '1,' only assembles cars, trucks and vans in the US and the first number of the VIN is a '4,' or '5' according to the American content. Contrary to what you believe, if you listen and watch what Toyota says in their newest ads, because of Hondas complaint, you will see they no longer say 'made in American' but rather 'assembled in American of world sourced parts.'

mike

Honda also has invested heavily in

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Excellent. That means that Ford upped its content of US parts in the Mustang.

You can explain all you want, but you have failed to explain why similar Mercury, Ford and Lincoln models, built on the same plant, have very different content. Please don't give me bullshit about the interiors coming from different places.

Furthermore, you have failed to support your contention that the first digit of the VIN has anything to do with content. If you are correct, please cite the site. I have looked several times and have found no evidence that the first digit means anything other than the country in which the vehicle was built. There is nothing about the first digit having anything to do with content in the legislation which describes the VIN.

Instead of explaining, how about backing up your comments with evidence?

Bullshit. The Toyota Sienna is over 90% NA content.

What company advertises that its cars are "Made in America?"

You can beleive what you want. However, you won't change my mind until you provide verifiable evidence. You have made the same claim over and over again about the first digit of the VIN refering to content, but you have never backed it up. Your claims are worth doo-doo to me. I take that back. At least doo-doo can be used as fertilizer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So... so it's sort of a lack of understanding of the differences between email spam and telemarketing. Nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

What differences?

Reply to
Just Facts

That part at least is partly true; the first character of the VIN is indeed "country of origin." e.g. a Volkswagen with a VIN starting "WVW" is a real, German-built VW, whereas a "1VW" is one built in Westmoreland, and "9VW" is one built in Brazil.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I guess he never had his FAX spammed. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The economics are completely different. Sending email spam, especially using botnets, is essentially free. Last I saw, estimates were that the response rate on email spam was down around one in

100,000 -- but the cost of sending the message is so low they're still making a profit. At those rates, harvesting my email address from usenet is worth it to them; unfortunately, my email address was in so many different places long before there was spam that ceasing to use it on usenet wouldn't make any difference at this point. I don't use my personal email address on usenet!

A telemarketing call or fax spam costs infinitely more -- up in the pennies range. For random telemarketers to call my office to make pitches on the basis of harvesting the phone number from usenet would be insane; likewise to send spam to the department's fax machine on that basis.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Perhaps, but in the real world they still do so automatically at 3 AM . ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

For pete's sake, why are you still cross-posting about this? Nobody cares! Shut up!

Reply to
Joe

If you were paying attention I explained the 'why' about 12 posts ago, prior to all the pointless back-and-forth in this thread...

Never mud-wrestle with a pig. It doesn't accomplish anything, and after a while you realize that the pig is enjoying it.

If you want to keep up with him, that's your business.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Perhaps your ire should be directed to the person that cross posted the post to which I replied. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Another thing I missed in my nomadic wanderings.. What kind of van did Oldslowmobile make?

Reply to
<HLS

Chevy Lumina with a different sticker

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Olds made the Silhouette, which was basically an upgraded Montana/Venture, if memory serves.

Reply to
80 Knight

The Silhouette. It was essentially a trim option of the Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana line up.

Reply to
John Horner

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

At least on my Olds Silo it has a much higher level of equipment than most chev/pontiac, like 4 captain chairs, rear radio/HVAC, auto leveling, roof rack, trac control, etc.

I have not driven all variations of the U van, but the one Pontiac I drove that had cheap tires handled horribly, it was unsafe at 35 even around a small road. My olds was marketed as a Sport Van (a bit of a stretch, granted) but it does handle very good for a big van, and I guess the stabilizer in front and bushings might be different. I replaced the shocks. Good tires like my michelins makes a huge difference as well.

Reply to
scott