GM: Possible pitfalls could derail rebound

DUH! ,but the profits from Japanese cars sold in the US, albeit made in Japan or merely assembled of imported parts in the US, go to Japan and the
go there untaxed by the US federal government
wrote in message

wrote in message

I think you knew very well what I meant.

I believe you are either off your medication or completely ignorant of the vast cost reduction of TV's after the US manufacturers got out of the business. Not only did the prices drop substantially, the quality improved. I worked on TV's in the seventies and the dog models for failures were RCA and Zenith. RCA had outright design flaws and Zenith had major problems with their modular design. The electronics industry is an example of where innovations reduce prices instead of being used to price key items as the auto manufacturers do, at 10 fold more than they should be priced because they are the only source. Many of these items are not high cost items but the manufacturers enjoy a monopoly on these items for a number of years. Combine that with the outrageous production worker wages, compared to other industries, along with management bonuses and you get a 15,000 dollar car which costs 30,000 dollars. I suspect China will keep the Japanese car manufacturers in line. One more thing, I remember in the late sixties or early seventies when GM, Ford, and Chrysler went to Washington with their Lobbyists and demanded a surcharge on imported cars which they got. It was around $300 dollars per car. 2 weeks later GM, Ford, and Chrysler raised the price of their cars the same amount. That has always been the Pattern. If GM, Ford, and Chrysler still had the power and a good reputation for quality products, their cars would be priced above the imports. When you build crap like engines which self destruct with intake leaks and plastic intake manifolds year after year and transmissions which fail prematurely, yet continue production of same, stick the customer with resulting repair bills instead of fixing the problem, you can't charge premium prices for such junk.
What color is the sky in your world? LOL

If the price of fuel goes to $4-5 per gallon, I think that will stop a lot of ordinary people from buying the SUVs and trucks. Another nail in GMs coffin.
wrote in message

Yes but who's to blame, GM for offering SUV's or people requesting GM to build them?

The strike is getting worse. More and more plants are closing.
This could be the beginning of the end.
GM is trying to get rid of excessive inventure now during this strike and during closing of plants.
It could actually become wide spread and get out of hand.
Gosi wrote:

GM has so many days of truck/SUV inventory the UAW is doing GM a major favor as GM clears out the inventory. The UAW members are on short rations by theor own choice as they do GM a favor. It will be months before there is an adverse effect on GM.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Not to worry, most dealerships prefer to have at least a sixty day supply of vehicles on hand, particularly at this time of year. Some GM dealers have slightly more that that in stock at the moment but other dealers are selling more and need to pick vehicles they sell from the dealer pool.

Welll....
It could be a dangerous game. GM has closed 29 plants so far. It is costing
"JP Morgan analyst Eric Selle estimates GM will spend $1.8 billion if the strike lasts a month, based largely on hourly wage costs, according to a research report earlier this month."