How to check if tires will fit ???

1994 Buick Regal, existing tires are 205/70R -15

A friend has offered me a set of tires and rims (good condition)

Bolt pattern is the same only thing they are size

225/75 -15

Can they be used on this car.....

are there reference charts to see which tires sizes can be used.

Thanks in advance !!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Check inside your drivers door for the correct size tire for the vehicle, if your tag is not on there, check in your owners manual. IF you don't have one, call any tire store and they usually tell you by looking it up on thier computer, i.e., Sears, Roebuck. But of course you have to be slick and say that you may be thinking of buying new tires, ya da ya da, can I go with a bigger tire.....

Reply to
72blazer

Reply to
Shep

Yes there are references on the web, but the thing you care about is the height of the tire. Change height and you throw off your speedometer. Stand the 75's up next to the 70's. How do they compare in height? If they are the same height, then put them on.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Peter,

You should not have any problem with the 225/75-15s fitting the wheel well, but you WILL have a speedo issue. Those 225s will make your speedo and odometer run about 15% slow. It will also throw off transmission shift points and converter lockup.

No good way to fix it either, since that size tire is not on the factory list of tire sizes for that car, thus the ECM does not have a calibration to correct the difference in frequency coming from the VSS in the transaxle. The VSS in the 4T60E is not gear driven but is a magnetic sensor triggered by a cogged reluctor ring mounted on the differential carrier in the transaxle.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Peter wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

To answer your question the rest of the way--reference-chart part has been answered already. To know for sure, install the front 2. Drive in an uncrowded parking lot, and turn extremely to left; then drive and turn to extremely right. Drive over a speed bump. If no interference, chances are good they will run physically ok. According to the nice link provided by jrl, you can just add about 8% to speedo reading to get true speed. ***A rule of thumb I've used over the years is to not exceed factory spec'ns over

1 inch on the front, esp. on fwd. This would frown on your application, as yours would increase by 2 inches.(Personally, I would not do it.) But, what are you willing to put up with???*** HTH & good luck, s
Reply to
sdlomi2

This is a tough decision. I wouldn't mind going up or down one tire size..but jumping two makes me a little nervous for all the reasons given.

My only reason for using the larger tires is that I can get a set of new tires and rims complete for about $100.

On the existing car...the rims and tires have been beat to sh..t. My significant others bumped a lot of curbs when moving up from a honda to a full size gm... I think she's past this by now.

The charts help out a lot with the speed and shift differences... Guess the only way to make sure is to take the plunge and see how the car operates..... I can always replace the old wheels if necessary.

Thanks again for your help !!!

Reply to
Peter

Hey Peter, where you said, "I wouldn't mind going up or down one tire size..but jumping two makes me a little nervous" , you are actually going TALLER by 3 sizes when it comes to height--205-to-215= 1 height. 215-to-225 makes a 2nd height. Lastly, 225/70-to 225/75 makes another height increase, for a total of 3 height jumps. (IE, an xxx/75 is one height taller than an xxx/70. Remember the "low profile" descripts of the "seventy-series"? Just information to consider.) Luck to you. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Peter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No. Just checking on my calculator P205/70R15 are 26.3" in diameter, P225/75R15 are 28.3" in diameter and almost an inch wider...way too drastic a difference.

Reply to
popkorn

Good calculator jrl. The width difference does not bother me at all, but the OP is going to have some speedo problems with a 2" larger diameter.

Reply to
Mike Marlow