Chevy Venture 2002 fan problem

Hi, I have Chevrolet Venture 2002 and when I turn hot/cold air fan on (to blow inside the cabin) the lowest fan speed which is number 1 doesn't work, all other (2, 3, 4 and 5 are working fine). Does anybody know how can I fix it? I was told once that might be a fuse, if it's so then what fuse, where is it, please give me details.

Also, while I am here, GM's recomendation is to use red coolant where I also heard that blue one is much better because it doesn't damage gaskets as red one. Does anyone know something about it and should I switch to blue one this winter.

Thanks

Reply to
djenka2

Are you sure the low speed is not working try holding a bic lighter (flame) up to the vent....my Gm blows so little on low that it cant be heard or felt. If it is not working on one or more speeds but you have at least one speed it is not a fuse. You will need to replace the resistor netowrk pack. You will find it in the duct work.

Your questi>

Reply to
no one that you know

Hmm, number 1 speed is not working fore sure. How can I access the ducts in the car to find the thing? Yes, you are right, I have to change actually to add new antifreeze this year again because my car have the same problem as all ventures do; coolant desapears after about three weeks. That's something to do with gaskets but I didn't fix it yet so I have to watch and fill up coolant very often. It doesn't mix it with engine oil (engine oil is always the same level), it's disapearing somewhere else. Any sugestions?

no > Are you sure the low speed is not working try holding a bic lighter

Reply to
djenka2

3.4L Engine? Wife's Impala was loosing coolant and I could see it on the outside of the engine when I would shine a light I could see the reflection in the wetness.
Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
djenka2

Reply to
no one that you know

The resistor pack is accessed under the glove box beside the fan. It just sticks in the duct, no access needed.

As for the engine the oil level won't necessarily raise as the water is evaporated out of it. Look for any sludge buildup around the dipstick, oil cap area's. If so it is getting in the oil. If it is getting in the oil it causes corrosion in the engine and before you know it the cam bearings bind and the cam snaps. At this point it is new engine time as all the valves will hit the pistons. Since you apparently do not have the knowledge to determine this take it to a good mechanic and determine where the antifreeze is really going before you are left at the side of the road with a huge mass of useless steel. Google the internet for loads of horror stories on the problem....

Reply to
Woody

As well - it can be unapparrent on the dipstick. Don't assume that because you don't see slime or bubbles that the Dex-Cool is not leaking where it should not.

And if you don't toast a cam bearing you stand an equal chance of toasting a rod bearing. The short of it is, get it to a mechanic for intake gaskets.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Please post correctly so others can follow the thread. Its not a head gasket its the intake gasket. You don't need to be technical.mechanical to open the hood and look for wetness on the outside of the engine. Drive it some to get it warm and then park and look.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
djenka2