Lumina APV stalling ?

I have a 1990 Chevy Lumina APV with just over 200,000 miles. The problem is after driving ,lets say, 40 miles and I come to a stop or turn, the car starts to jerk and sometimes will stall. It will start back up immediately but as soon as you put it into drive, it just stalls again. If you let it sit for a while and cool down it runs normally. I was thinking that it might be an EGR valve. Does anyone here have any suggestions or prior trouble like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Stoner

Reply to
Stoner

Sounds like it's sticking in overdrive. H

Reply to
Hairy

My 2 cents with what I've got to work with here...

Crank Sensor or ignition module. Those two would work better cooled down. If the crank sensor is rubbing the shutters it will heat up. If it was the egr it would take a long while for it to start and when it did it would run horrible.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Torque converter. It will run about $250 if you take it some where.

Reply to
tj

You can unplug the convertor at the tranny. Your gas mileage will decrease but you will save some money. Look for a plug underneath at the transmission and unplug it.

Reply to
tj

I remember GM having trouble back then with that sort of thing. Used to drive cars home from work to make them act up. There is a flow chart to follow and codes to check as well.

When you would come to a stop it would stall out. Then start right back up but when you put it in drive.....bang it would stall right away.

Reply to
Hayman

"Hairy" wrote in news:c16l4g$1feimb$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-223602.news.uni-berlin.de:

I had a 1990 corsica which had these symptoms and it was the transmission control solenoid.

Reply to
tango

Hold On! If your van just stalls when you come to a stop look at the EGR Valve. To test let the van cool down, unplug the vaccum hose and plug it, tap gently on the top of the EGR, If you can now drive without incident then thats it. If your van shutters and stalls after a drive @ 80km/hr or higher it's the TCC solonoid in the transmission. To test Let van cool down, unplud the blue plug in the front right of the transmission, drive on. If you can now drive without incident then thats it.

Reply to
thom_63