OLDSMOBILE SILHOUTTE 1992- Which other new GM SUV has this engine?

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

From '90 to '95. Olds Silhouettes (and Chevy Lumina APV and Pontiac Tran Sports) had either 3.1 or 3.8 V6's. The 3.1 is an iron block engine with an aluminum head, and the 3.8 is iron on iron. The 3.8 is the more durable and better engine, and since your mechanic praised your engine, you must have the 3.8. Starting in '96 and continuing today, the GM minivans started coming with the 3.4 V6's only with no other engine available. GM should have put the 3.8 in it. As to your question, the 3.8 has been put into a lot of GM cars since the mid 80's and is still used today. You'll find them in base Firebirds, Camaros, and in Buick Park Avenues/Regals/Rivieras, Olds 88/Toronados, Pontiac Bonneville, Chevrolet Impala (even used for police cars), etc.. Some of these cars even have a supercharged 3.8. My favorite application would have to be in the '88 to mid '90's Buick Regals. Regals are real nice.

"David J and Lynne J Shepherd" wrote in news:40d9eeb0 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Reply to
Justin

My 89 Regal had the 2.8 :-( I don't think the 3.8 was an option that year. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

They need to stuff the 3800SC series III or the new 3900 into the Venture vans, talk about sleeper minivan :D

Reply to
Paradox

Must be the 3.8 if you love it so much :). The 3.1/.4 family does not seem to be as robust as the all iron 3.8.

The 3.8 is used in many current GM cars, but not in any of the vans, trucks or SUVs as far as I am aware.

You can see some of the current applications of the 3.8 at:

The supercharged version listings are at:

I think that the 3.8 is also an option on the Impala, even though not listed above.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I have the 1992 Oldsmobile Silhouette (ya- the ugly nose minivan). It has

165K now and runs like a horse, exactly like the day i bought it! I admit that it does have lots of 'body problems' (like windows- AC and other little American car annoyances). All i know is that it is a 6 cylinder 3.8 engine ( or is it 3.1?). My mechanic said that it is a great engine and is in some BUICK cars. I want to purchase another vehicle that has the same engine and transmission. I would prefer to buy an SUV. Does anyone know what is this engine and which other GM SUV has the identical engine?
Reply to
FEDUP

I think GM has forgotten about that page, they haven't updated it in ages.

Reply to
Paradox