ONSTAR and Lockouts

I was listening to a GM radio commercial; Lady had locked herself out of her car.... She called ONSTAR, explained the situation, and they "magically" unlocked her door vis satellite.

All well and good, but, how do you lock yourself out of a newer GM car ?

I've got a newer BUICK, the doors unlock when you put it in PARK. You need the keyfob to LOCK the doors from outside....

How could you lock yourself out ?

Maybe if you'd lost your keys after locking the car.... but then, opening the door wouldn't help very much.

????

Reply to
Anonymous

Don't take it so seriously. (1) Suppose you left the key and fob in the car with the baby while you stepped away for ten seconds, and the baby hit the lock button.

---or--- (2) Suppose you left the car, hit the lock button on the key fob, and then returned later. Either the key fob battery died, or the key fob was damaged or lost (fell out of your pocket).

In either case, you can call the OnStar agency by some other phone, give them your account number and password, and they can remotely unlock it.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

RJ worte: You need the keyfob to lock the doors from outside.....How can you lock yourself out?

!? You've got to be joking? You don't know? How did you lock car doors prior to cars offering remote keyfobs?

Once you open the door you can press the power door lock button on the door to lock the doors. Or you can push the manual door lock button on the door panel. Leave the keys on the seat, step out of the vehicle, close the door and then your LOCKED out.

Was that to hard to figure out ?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,660 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Not belittling ONSTAR, Just marvelling at how idiotproof cars are getting. It'd be really tough to lock yourself out of a car, unless you lose all your keys..... In which case, ONSTAR can open the door ( and get you in out of the rain )

Baby would have to be in the drivers seat. Passenger seat lock doesn't lock all doors.

The key is also the door key.... You really don't need a fob to open the door.

Reply to
Anonymous

On the newer cars you can't lock the drivers door with the push buttons if a door is opened.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

My 2003 Bravada (and 2001 Intrigue) will let me lock the doors with the Power lock button if other doors are open.

NOT if the key is in the ignition, but it could be on the seat!

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Well, on many of the newer GM cars, it won't let you lock the doors with the power button with the keys in the ignition. Of course, that doesn't stop you from locking the doors manually..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Power lock button if other doors are open.

I was close :P It's been awhile since I've tried locking myself out of a car anyways.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

If the key fob was lost then aren't the keys to start the car attached to it and wouldn't they be lost too? Does OnStar also start the car for you over the satellite?

I'm sure all the OnStar who-ha is going to be quite useable when the car is

15 years old on the 3rd owner and 3/4 of the electrical crap in the car isn't working exactly right.

Frankly for me the big question on the OnStar commercials is what moron would be stupid enough to actually agree to have their stupidity outed on the radio for all to laugh at? Where do these people work and what do they do that pays them enough money to be able to afford new cars and the monthly OnStar fee, yet appear to have about as much common sense as a burned out match?

I can just see it now in the GM Boardroom:

"We have a great new avertising promotion!"

"what is it?"

"We are gonna convey the image that only stupid people buy GM cars!!!!"

"Cool, let's get that rolling we are gonna sell lots of cars!!!"

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

My view on onstar. If you can afford a new car then you must also have a cell phone. If you got a cell phone why pay for onstar? I swear who in this world likes getting bills and making payments? You cant go through life like that. At this rate someday soon their will be a pay service that will wipe your butt for you. XM radio bill, onstar bill, cable tv bill, internet bill, gas bill, electric bill, cell phone bill, car payment, wipe your butt bill...on and on and on. THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN! DOWN WITH ONSTAR!

Ok I'm d>

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I went with a prepaid wireless phone for my uses. I rarely call on it, but have it in the glovebox (does anyone really keep gloves in a glovebox? LOL) if I or the wife break down, etc.

I get enough calls as it is at home and work, the last thing I need is someone bugging me while out sriving around...

LOL

buttstar(tm) ????

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

The last outfit I worked at that had company vehicles had big problems with idiots locking themselves out of the Caravans they issued, They tried a solution of having each supervisor carry spares for each vehicle used in their area. I told my crew that it was real simple, They were given a remote unit, and the chipped key, those did not go together PERIOD. They also had a spare door key on the remote (in case of battery failure) and another spare hidden on the vehicle by me (not in an easily accessed place though, if you needed that key you WORKED to get it.) They were also told IF they locked themselves out the bought lunch for the rest of us (5 guys).

Reply to
Steve W.

Trademark? Looking to corner that name to start that service yourself munir? lol

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Onstar themselves just answered your question. Another "stupid person on the radio commercial" just now. Caller to ONSTAR (woman):"sniffle...your're not going to beleive this....I just went into the restaraunt to use the bathroom and when I got in there I dropped my keys down the toilet....boooo hooooo" Onstar...man in disbelief: "Oh my.....I will call a locksmith in your area and they should be out right away" Woman: "Oh thank you...how much will they charge???" Onstar: "your car is under warranty...it won't cost you anything"

So GM did get the market ploy right...let's target dumb people.

But then again I did have a friend drop his cell phone in the urinal.........dumbass.

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Buddy of mine dropped his in the lake by the dock. Fished it out with a net and dried it on his dash with the defrosters.

Works fine. But I dunno if I'd wanna be the guy to have to fish one outta the yellow drinking bowl the dogs use, LOL

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

or have to turn it in to get another one.(under warranty) Both are equally as embarrasing.... "Well sir, I was there trying to adjust my johnson, and the phone slipped off my shoulder into the piss" LOL

Reply to
Eightupman

Your Hardware uses analog telephone signals. If the underlying wireless carriers terminate or restrict analog, OnStar services will not be available. Effective February 16, 2008, the FCC no longer requires wireless carriers to support analog service. Thus, some wireless carriers may cease providing service to analog Hardware at that time.

Read this on GMs site while looking at the specs on a new van. They also say you may be able to upgrade it at that time for an additional fee. I guess it isn't covered under the warranty then?

Reply to
Steve W.

How does one get to the inside of the vehicle to push the onstar button to get them to open the vehicle???? ???? ???? Just kidding. But not everyone would remember to also get their cell phone out of the car before locking the door.

Reply to
GMAN

You have no choice, you agree as part of the small print in the user agreement with onstar that your voice may be used for marketing purposes at their discretion.

Reply to
GMAN

If my wife break down, I'll just get myself a new one :) :) :Þ

Vuarra

Reply to
Vuarra