Re: power window problem

Thanks for the info! Sorry to hear the dealer wasn't helpful. I replaced the motor (about $150 for the part). Everything works ok. One of the two braided copper wires feeding power to the brushes was broken off where it attaches to the brush, but I don't know if I did this during my ham-handed disassembly of the motor or if it was the cause.

Your problem may be similar to the problem that I experienced (look at my > posts re these window motors) If these are the same motors you may solve > your problem by opening the motor and locate both of the braided brush wires > and tug on each until no more slack can be pulled up through the hole in the > plastic housing (a daub of epoxy might be useful in preventing these wires > from slipping back down behind the plastic housing) [The actual problem is > that if these braided brush cables have enough slack below the plastic > housing they are able to short out on the uninsulated metal motor housing or > one another.] > I made my dealership here in Ottawa Ontario Canada aware of this problem > after they charged me about $300 to remove and replace a window motor on my > Buick even though the motor was not really broken [ just poorly assembled] > > The following is a letter that I sent to my dealership. > see the fol thread in this group. > Re: 94 Lesabre Pwr Window needs tap to go up from full down position > > > Hi guys (Surgenor Pontiac Buick) > > This information may be of interest to your service department. I recently > had a rear window motor replaced on my Buick. (I had asked for the dead > motor in order to use for an electric crossfeed on one of my small lathes.) > To make a long story short there was nothing wrong with the motor that was > returned to me except that the braded brush cables were shorting out on the > bare metal housing of the motor. There is no positive way built into this > motor to keep these wires from shorting out on the motor housing. There is > also no insulation between the wires and the housing and as a result they > short out on the housing and showing a short across the input leads as if > there had been a meltdown of the armature. > > My wife and I bought this vehicle from you had have had excellent service > both from you and the vehicle. The annoying part of this incident is that I > doubt if that window had ever been opened. My wife noticed the fault in the > window over the winter, but was in no rush to have it repaired under the > extended warranty because we didn't realize it ended at 100K KM and we are > now just past that at 102K KM. Lastly It is very irritating to pay all this > money to repair a component that has absolutely nothing wrong with it save > bad design Or was assembled without the proper insulation material in the > first place. > > I am quite prepared to call this just the cost of doing business so to > speak. However we are living on a fixed income and in as much as this repair > was totally needless, if there is some way that GM can cover the cost it > would be appreciated. > > Signed Bill Darby > > They chose to turn a blind eye to the problem. > > Bill Darby > > > > I have a 93 Buick LeSabre. The rear driver side power window works > > intermittantly. When it does work, I can get it to go down from fully > > closed and up to fully closed, then nothing but a click from the motor > each > > time I press the button. (Motor gets warm, probably due to being unable > to > > transfer electrical energy into moving the window). If I take the housing > > off the motor and remove the rotor/shaft, reinstall it then it works again > > (per above). Is this some kind of "limit switch" problem? (or isn't > there > > any limit switches). Perhaps the motor just heats up quickly and windings > > short out? Or perhaps the window needs lubrication? > > > > > >
Reply to
John Roccaro