Re: Replacing Turn Signal, 87 Regal

I have never used anything other than my hands/fingers and a screwdriver to put that plate and snap ring back on. If you put the plate on then thread the nut on a few turns, give the plate a goood hard shove down while pulling up on the steering shaft (using the nut for grip). If you are lucky it goes far enough and then you can c*ck the plate so it won't slide back up while you put the snap ring on with the other hand (the one that did the pulling up). GW

Vuarra wrote:

After having quite the easy time taking apart the steering wheel and > column to the signal switch, I tried putting it back together. That > was fun. > > I had quite the difficulty compressing the spring enough to get the > ignition lock wheel in place for the snap ring. > > Anyone have any ideas on how to do it with the average mechanic's > tools, as I am going to have to do it again when I get the replacement > (cleaning did not help the way it was supposed to)? > > Vuarra > > Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur. > (That which is said in Latin sounds profound.)
Reply to
Geoff Welsh

There is a special tool, a spring compressor to hold down the spring and plate to snap the ring on. I had to buy one several years ago. You may be able to borrow one somewhere. It makes the job much easier.

Gary

Reply to
GARY