Re: Upgrade ?'s about Monsoon

'99 Buick Regal LS w/ Monsoon audio system.

> >First of all, the audio system is VERY nice for a 'factory' installed >option. Sure beats whan I had in my '91 Regal. :) > >I've seen the 200W amp mounted in the trunk. It has 8 speakers, so I assume >that's the 2 tweeters up front, the 2 lower speakers up front, and the 4 >speakers clustered under the back window. Is that correct? > >I guess I'm looking for opinions on what would be the most efficient single >item to do to improve overall sound quality, concentrating on a power boost >and deeper bass. Obviously, dual subwoofers would help but that means >another amp, two subs, and an enclosure. (Mo' money) > >Here are my options in my mind: > >1. Replace current amp with bigger amp (300W, 400W etc.) and do nothing >else. >2. Replace front and/or rear speakers with upgraded speakers. >3. Install dual subs, new amp for subs, and an enclosure in the trunk. > >I guess I'm asking for people with the Monsoon, what would be your >recommendations? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice package. But, turning up >the volume, I especially notice the bass dropping off as the amp is >undoubtedly giving more power to all other frequencies. That is the key >point I would like to enhance. > >Thank you for your suggestions!!

Well, I'm not sure about the 99, but I have a Monsoon system in my 03 GAGT, and I've run into a few wrinkles:

  1. no shop seems to be able to install the Head Unit without putting in a wiring harness from Scosche (GM-06). Not sure about the amp, but I'm pretty certain that it's linked into the data bus that links the engine computer, head unit, passkey system. If you take one of them out I believe the system gets cranky and starts recording SES codes, though I've yet to prove that. I know that when installers say it'll stop your airbags from deploying it's utter bullshit.
  2. replacing the factory speakers is a good idea, and if there's 8 speakers, there's more than likely 2 up front, 2 in the rear passenger's door and 2 in the rear deck. the 2 that are left are usually the tweeters up front, and they can be disconnected for the most part as I remember.

I'd guess that if you don't mind tapping into the line level inputs to the rear speakers, you could wire up a stonger amp without a problem. I'm not audio guru, but as long as everything stays in-tact for the speakers, you'll probably only lose your chimes at the most.

Best of luck!

Reply to
Kmikl

For the '03 Grand Am, the radio is hooked into the Class 2 data bus, the amp is not. I don't think anything will complain if you replace the radio with a different one, but you will lose the audible warnings chimes because the radio generates them. You can get a special replacement aftermarket chime module that will plug into the wiring harness to generate the chime noises.

A '99 Regal does appear to have the radio connected to the data bus, but it doesn't generate the chimes (the body computer module does, apparently).

Reply to
Robert Hancock