Re: what's up with J-body.org?

"Jason D." wrote

Is there other sites that have good people onboard not just mostly > young guys who like to make theirs "cool", I'm after techical things > and questions answered.

I haven't seen many young guys here trying to "cool" up their J-cars.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

This is what this looks like in that j-body.org. I'm all for good mods and swapping engines for repair or for extra horses without too much add ons, others can do to theirs for showy look but this isn't for me.

Compare this site to

and I'm on eek and minivans mailing list that are for chryslers vehicles and I wish I able to get a chrysler car because of excellent imformal support there. I had gotten two opporunities that I can't pass and got both driveable j-cars instead for real deal, but either one needs TLC badly to pass and use one of them as beater to drive for experience & pass both tests in it then sell it with savings get new or used decent car that I really like with G license in hand.

Right now I'm at a point after vacation to get both checked by a mechanic (have not found one that I feel comfortable with their advices before investing in their estimate $1,000 bodywork by bodyshop personnel already looked at both, (Maaco, but better than average than other Maaco shops), on one that is best one out of two. Use the other car for parts like hood and such. That area is why I need info about swapping stuff.

Sunbird '91 w/ 3spd auto was commuter car and was in country home where owner lived, 196,000km. Cavalier '89 was city car with unknown history on it, 140,000km but body looked marginally better but hood is perfect. Both have all four doors has rust also has rocker panels need fixed.

I already bought service manual for the sunbird SLE 91 before got that Cavalier. I didn't realize both engines isn't same even both are

2.0L! Sheesh. That's not I expected because of Chrysler kept similar engine longer: 2.2, 2.5L from '84 to 1994, same with 3.0 and 3.3L.

But this GM changed so much too quickly what drives me away and asking questions.

Cheers,

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Aw! I know that, what I meant, pick out the 3.3 out of '95 in junkyard and expect it to be same with minor external parts differences and stuff that into older 3.3 vehicle and will work.

Really!? I know both cav & sun 2.0 engines aren't same. You could either here or email with this advantages and disadvanges of this 2.0L engines.

That cav '89 2.0 is an OHV? And where is the "distributor"? That sunny car has it on the side of fake head "cam carrier". :-)

Now, I need to make sure which part is leaking oily stuff, just enough to coat certain areas, area at belts side, car has power steering. Head is dry as dusty on the side facing front. I knew that on 2.2 &

2.5 is rather common for leaky valve covers. But I couldn't find info about this kind for cavalier 2.0L OHV.

Me too and chrysler in general but that will be my next one in future, either 'van or Neon or mint K-car, friends badmouth K's. Have worked with my friend on his old 90 'van 2.5L. What a joy to work on and very shade-tree mechanic friendly. That van especially if unloaded you don't need to jack up to pull that gas tank, drop & drag it out FYI.

Cheers,

Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

"Jason D." wrote

Ah...gotcha. It's not that much different with a lot of the Gm stuff.

Well, both engines are quite tough as far as overall reliability. In other words, it's rare to see one of them "blow up". But the Overhead Cam engine in the Pontiac J-bodies was notorious for head gasket leaks. Mainly oil leaks from the head at the rear of the engine. This engine is costlier to repair, both parts and labour.

The 2.0 Chev Overhead Valve engine had head gasket problems too, but at least it's less labour and parts are cheaper. Other then that, they were quite robust.

The distributor or coil packs are on the back side of the engine, under the intake manifold. Fun stuff.

Yep, the k-cars are little shit boxes, but they are very easy and cheap to work on. I've run two of them now over the last 6 years and they have cost me "nothing". Oh yeah, I had to put a head gasket in my latest last year. Took me all of 45 minutes at work one day. Had a MAP sensor go on me a while back, unplugged it and drove around until I had time to run out to the wrecking yard. Picked up about 6 MAP's...(wasn't quite sure which ones were the right ones, if any) and the old girl was running great in a few minutes. Cost of the MAP....$1.00.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"Jason D." wrote

You can't really do anything special to keep them in good condition. I would advise against shampooing your engine as spraying water around them can often end up causing problems with either the coils or the module.

Yes, the OHV engine uses a timing chain.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai