The End of Detroit

Now Renault is going to pick up the pieces at GM and take over the bankrupt operations

It wil be interesting to watch how they will divide it up and how they handle the union contracts

The most difficult part is to handle the enormous debt and possibly best to sell off everything and then change the name to Renault-GM of the new owner and leave the problems behind

It will be more organised bankruptcy

Reply to
Gosi

According to this Business Week Online article,

this is not a done deal. So far, it is a matchmakeing attempt on the part of Kirk Kerkorian's Tracinda Corp.

Reply to
Ray O

GM:s last hope before the bellyup

Reply to
Gosi

Does she explain why excellently made cars like the Altima were just recalled do to faulty designs? Yet Americans are so stupid they still buy them? Americans were so stupid the dealers were told not to sell them anymore because the Americans were so brainwashed into thinking if its Japanese its gotta be good.

Behode ApaleHorse

This applies to the 2.5l, not the 3.5l engine. The 2007 is due out soon. Looks nice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is this more Bush brain washing?

Reply to
who

Rational thought must not be one of your more notable characteristics.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How good of Nissan to publicly recall the cars with this problem and not try to sweep it under the carpet like GM did with their V6 gasket problem which went on so long and cost so many owners so much to repair. Good for you Nissan!

Reply to
Spam Hater

Recalls are generally not a big deal for customers.

Getting stuck with a defect and having to pay for it yourself is what pissed off customers.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Agreed. I've always been confused about the consumer reports preoccupation with recalls. I can't tell if they're good or bad. Would you rather buy a car that's had 5 problems fixed, or one that hasn't? The answer is: you can't tell from that information. That's the answer for people with higher thinking skills. If you have no thinking skills, you can pick an answer easily, but I'm not sure which one you'd pick.

Reply to
Joe

You must have purchased your car used, since GM did indeed notify owners of record of its extended warranty for various gasket problems.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Odd, they never notified us about the intake manifold gasket problems on our 2002 Olds, and we purchased it new.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Have you had your dealer run a VIN check to see of yours is involved?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Used GM cars don't have a gasket problem ??

Reply to
Anonymous

Well I know it was "involved" because the gasket failed at under 50k miles.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Did you take it to a dealer to be replaced, under the extended warranty?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

GM knows. Used car owners receive recall notices on a regular basis from GM without having done anything on their part to advise GM of their ownership. GM advises owners of recalls, etc. by DMV records and could just as easily advise them of extended warranties as they do recalls. The fact of the matter is that GM does not and most people who take their cars to the dealers for this repair are not advised that any such warranty exists. Your evidence of such a warranty?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The warranty covers subsequent owners, IF GM knows whom they may be.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter