Wher have the Caprices gone ?

Three years ago, you would trip over Caprices in every parking lot, now they cannot be found. I had been planning on buying a newer one, like a 90's Caprice ( the bubble look) but even they seem to have disappeared. I heard that they were being bought up and sold to other countries. What a tragedy, if that is true.

Where the heck are they ? They can't be in junkyards this soon ! .

Reply to
Lecher9000

I know that some police departments were having them "reconditioned" so that they were like new cars. All the police that I've spoken to say that they handle great and that's one of the reason they're being reconditioned rather than replaced. They also say that it's cheaper than buying a new car. I don't know about use as taxis, etc.

Rich B

(set to music by Pete Seeger) Where have all the Caprices gone... Gone to junkyards every one...

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

ROFLMAO! Or gone to graveyards every one!

Reply to
Sting Ray

Your correct that the Caprice is going over seas. Its also going to Mexico too.

There are dozens of Caprice's in the junkyard I go to. Some of the older people don't keep a car that long anymore. Seeing 96 was the last year made if a guy had a 84 and wanted a new Caprice in 2000 he went over to Mercury and bought a Grand Marquis or a Ford Crown Victoria. Espicially if he wanted a car to use to tow with.

I have a feeling the Caprice sales were not that high in the 90's so that would acount for not seeing to many of them now. My car model between the LE, SE & SSE , GM only made around 43,000. I rarely see

91's.

I see lot of the 87-89 and 92's but those years saw sales in the 140,000 range.

There are more Marquis around here than you can shake a stick at. The neighbor across the street helped his son by a mint low miler 91 Firebird last year, 8 months later it got totaled while parked downtown, they replaced it with a 90 ish Formula. The old man starts driving it pretty soon the kid is SOL for a car, so the old man buys the kid a new Crown Victoria.

Formula sounds like a G__D___ 747 everytime he starts it up.

Meanwhile, the kid is loving driving this big Crown Victoria.

Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car sales did real good when the RWD Caprice, Roadmaster & Cadillac Brougham died off in 1996.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 900 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Forgot to mention two friends of mine had 1982 Caprices, both two tone sedans

Al got his ( 305 V8 ) when it was eight months old and run it 16 years to 1998. The odometer died after 200,000 so he really doesn't know how many miles he put on it. The body rotted away very badly. All four doors were rotted off the inner portion of the door. The front fenders were all rusted out around the wheel openings. The floor pans were gone. etc.. He sold it to a guy he knews who run it a few years then junked it.

Ron bought his ( 4.3 ) new in 1982. He ran it till 1992. It had about

150,000 miles. Then he bought a 92 Century company car from his Bro in law. The Caprice sat for about 3-4 more years before his wife made him get rid of it. He sold to somebody for $400 but it took them for every to get it running. The car leaked just about every fluid it held. The car was all rust, especially where the stripes run over where the two colors came together. The quarters rotted out, lower moldings fell off, the 4 door bottoms were gone, front fenders all rusted out. Both cars had Good OL' Rusty Jones too.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 900 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Jeremiah

Reply to
Jeremiah

OK, so the verdict seems to be the Caprices are going into junkyards and into foreign countries. G__ D___ foreign bastards.

Guess I better get cracking, and get my "new" Caprice before it goes driving down some dusty Mexican road, or drives off a container ship in Marseilles.

Or maybe a crown vic or a cadillac, which are both more expensive to maintain, and less reliable, I hear :(

Reply to
Lecher9000

My 22 year old Chevy has all solid sheet metal (after repairs), way ovr 200K, and the original driveline unopened past the valve covers. I don't expect to need another vehicle soon.

Reply to
eddy eagle

Thats what killed them! That Rusty Jones crap was paraffin based and trapped water between the metal and under coating. There was a huge lawsuit and Rusty Jones is no more ........

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I've driven my 94 Deville some 140,000 trouble free miles and get a decent

18/30 mpg city/hwy.

Must be someone else's caddy that's unreliable?

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

I was in Venezuela 2 weeks ago. All the box stlye Caprice's Chevy Malibu's eem to be there. Fuel there is 6 pennies per liter.

Reply to
Black Bomb

They are all here in arizona, no seriously, all the mexicans drive them around.

Reply to
Paradox

Marseilles.

definitely forget about a used Crown Vic... they are pieces of crap when brand new!

(still laughing about that pete seeger shit, whomever posted it)

Reply to
Celica Dude

Why GM ever stopped making all those rear-wheel-drive cars is puzzling.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Celica dude asked why : Why GM ever stopped making all those rear wheel drive vehicle is puzzling.

They converted the plant that made the RWD cars to an SUV plant.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

oic! And here I was .. thinking they had made an error.. They were just forecasting a trend. How about that shit..

Reply to
Celica Dude