Wher have the Caprices gone ?

The SUV Trend was caused by the death of the RWD cars. As they killed one car line off, the loyald buyers of that line would split. Some would wimp out and get FWD cars of the same make. Others would go for one of the remaining RWD models of that make. Yet others said screw it, and just bought trucks.

Look at the jump in Truck, Van, & SUV sales when GM killed the mid size RWD's in 87 & 88.

In 1990 you could only get RWD Cars from GM in either Full Size, Pony (Camaro/TransAm) or Sports Car (Corvette). 10 Years later it was down to two. The Pony & the Sports car. In Erly 2004 it was just one.

Beleive me, if Women didn't like RWD cars & trucks, you wouldn't see soccer mom's driving 8 lug Suburbans. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

This must have been what helped Mercedes and BMW get a better foothold in the American market... most people still prefer rear wheel drive...

True enough! I remember when we got our Suburban back in '86... my dad actually bought it for himself, but my mom liked it so much, she claimed it as hers and drove it all the time.

I like to think of those women drivers in SUVs as mobile hazards -- avoid at all costs.

Reply to
Celica Dude

women drivers in any vehicle are a mobile hazard....

Reply to
Paradox