Which year was good for Buick?

I've looked at the TSB lists from alldata.com but they are all almost the same (for all the different models and years). Normally, I check these lists to know which years are better than others.

Looking for a bigger car (than a Saturn SL2 '92 135K miles which is what I drive now) with a smoother ride, 2 air bags and ABS. Under $7-9K or so. I've looked at Intrepid/Concorde (engine issues), Toyota (too much), Saturn (too small), etc. Buick seems to be a decent car (though some of the "oil consumption" TSBs remind me of my Saturn DOHC...)

Please, no flame-wars; I had enough of that in the mid 90's :)

Thanks, Fil

Reply to
Filip Gieszczykiewicz

B=O=P=Chevy They are all the same. Get one with the 3800 engine that has already had the leaking intank manifold fixed. IMO, Don't get a 3100 or 3400 engine.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

I'd agree from all the posts in here. My next car purchase will be based on what car has a 3800 with the cost of the car #2, and its appearance/functionality a distant 3rd.

My 3100 1996 Beretta needed new head gaskets at 60k miles! And the worst part is that I was told by my mechanic that mine actually lasted lots longer than most others of that year! He said he saw quite a few coming in around 40k miles. You never know if that's really true, but I wouldn't doubt it from all the posts I've seen in here.

Pretty much sucks that it comes to that, but it seems like it has, IMHO.

Best of luck to you!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

There will probably be some good deals the end of the year on Buick Regal LS & GS. Both have the 3800 but the GS is supercharged . 2004 is the last year for both Regal & Century ( 3.1 ).

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~276,845 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Well, how big? IMO, the Roadmaster was probably the best car Buick made at the time - but it's a boat.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

That was my thought right from the start... I'd recommend a 94 - 96 Roadmaster, with the port fuel injection... good power from an engine that's been around for a while.

Vuarra

Reply to
Vuarra

I remember talking to the head of the service department at the local garage at the time and he said they were trying to cut into Ford's CV/Towncar sales(fleets/police/etc) and so they were selling them at roughly their cost and not making a dime on them. Since they were phasing out the older Caprice Classics with the square body, they were looking at possible replacements.

Bad for sales. Great for consumers, though, as you got a $30K car for about $20K(at the time). Very overbuilt. Indestructable V8 engine and every possible amenity. The build quality was also much better, on par with a typical same era Caddy.

The are great cars used. Amazing to drive on the highway.

But... they are large. :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Ran across this on the GM Media site...

"Note: While LaCrosse replaces both Regal and Century for 2005, there is a short-run 2005 model of Century, built between March and October of 2004."

Roger Maxwell

My father has a 1996 buick Regal and its been a good unit. All he's done to it is a water pump, tires, belt, and finally the brake pads for the first time at a 100,000 miles just last month. Really it's been an excellent car and the 3800 gets real good milage on the highway.

Reply to
Hayman

It actually hasn't happend yet. Buick always advertised: "When better autombiles are built, Buick will build them."

Of course this is just something I couldn't resist.

My dad always owned Buicks and I recall they were almost indestructable with normal care.

Looking for a bigger car (than a Saturn SL2 '92 135K miles which is what I drive now) with a smoother ride, 2 air bags and ABS. Under $7-9K or so. I've looked at Intrepid/Concorde (engine issues), Toyota (too much), Saturn (too small), etc. Buick seems to be a decent car (though some of the "oil consumption" TSBs remind me of my Saturn DOHC...)

Please, no flame-wars; I had enough of that in the mid 90's :)

Thanks, Fil

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly