Wiper Switch Swap

I have an 84 pontiac parisienne and i am changing the windshield wiper/turn signal lever. I have no idea how to go about getting the steering column apart. Can someone help me through this? Is it a tough job? Any help is appreciated.

-Mark

Reply to
Midget Tosser

If it is the lever that I am thinking of(has wiper w/wout delay and cruise sw) it just pulls straight out of the wiper switch. Do you have the replacement? And also if it has a wire lead from it that runs down to the base of column, attach something to it(string/light mechanics wire/piano string/etc...) as you pull it out. This will help draw the new wiring back through the column. some had connectors right at the lever. These wires are only present if equipped with cruise. But like I say, just grasp the lever with both hands and pull out straight. There is a keyed metal end that engages in the wiper switch. Another question is, is the present stalk broken? If so that little keyed part of the shaft is stuck in the wiper switch. That is a whole different concern. the wiper switch will have to come out for access to extract the broken piece. Hope this helps. Gerald

Reply to
gStacey07

With proper tools, skills, and knowledge it should not take more than 30 minutes. Remove every nut, bolt, screw, and electrical plug, shroud, etc. that you see. Replace switch. Thats pretty much what I do when fixing things I have not seen before.

Reply to
Paul

the present stock isnt broken and yes i have the new switch. The new switch has the cruise control and wire on it but my car doesnt have cruise. What should i do with the wire? So im supposed to just pull the lever straight out? No screws? No clips?

Reply to
Midget Tosser

Like I say, if it is the stalk i'm talking about, then yes it just pulls straight out. A little description from my end, the stalk has a black end with the wiper position/cruise switch on it, about 2" long, then a chrome or black sleeve about 3-4" long that is loose. then there is a short steel shaft end with a little key on it designed to only push in and fit one way. This stalk(if it is the one) fits just about every gm vehicle for a large number of years. The 3-4" sleeve also has a key to keep it from rotating when fully installed. As for the wires, if you can exchange the piece for one without cruise would be correct, if not I suppose you can just cut them off. Again, if it is the one I am describing, it is just a stalk, there is no switch involved, other than the cruise switch which is internal to the stalk. If you have more than just a stalk, I am incorrect in my information. Gerald

Reply to
gStacey07

You're talkin about the same thing i have. I guess im gonna give it a try. Thank you so much for the help. I would have taken the whole damn steering column apart! I'll let ya know how it goes.

Reply to
Midget Tosser

you were correct! it worked great. thanks for the help

Reply to
Mark W.