'96 Heater Fan Switch

This morning the rotating switch that controls the heater fan would no go to the off position. It now has a springy feel not the precise notches it had before.

The switch is cheap enough, but has anyone removed the dash panel to get to this? Looks like the whole unit, speedo and all has to come out.

Any tips appreciated. This will be a DIY project for sure.

BTW, this baby has 185k on it now, and I have to add no oil between changes! And I change at 7,500 intervals (I used 7,500 mi Synthetic). Still runs great. She's like the energizer bunny

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Year and Model?

Reply to
NWF_Snake

Sorry, '96 Accord 4-cyl LX 5-Spd.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

you may need to replace the whole heater/ac control box and it shouldn't require having to take out the speedometer. look on ebay for one.

Reply to
Jeff

Not sure how your car works, buy on my 99 Civic I had to replace the whole control unit (fan speed, temp, and function). Got the unit online for about $275. Replaced it myself (seemed like a major chore, until I got stereo replacing instrutions online, you have to do

99% of the work replacing the stereo to replace this unit in my car).

Reply to
the phelper

Well, looks like it was the easy fix. The knob shaft was cracked. I super-glued it, then wrapped it was safety wire and coated it with JB Weld.

My wife was laughing, because I told her I could get a new one for less than $10, but I wanted to try and fix this one :-)

BTW, if the panel with the control unit has to come out, that whole bezel that also houses the Speedo and Tach has to come out as it looks like one solid unit.

Luckily I don't have to do that!

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

I join in the laughter. We have a standing riddle in our house whether JB Weld or duct tape is more "redneck." I use both at times, so it doesn't much matter to me!

A blanking plug popped out of the radiator in our Volvo a few weeks after we replaced the unit. I went back to the shop, and they couldn't find a plug to fit. Rather than wait for one I JB Welded a bolt in the hole. It still works, hyuck!

My favorite JB Weld tale is from a commercial Paul Harvey used to run. Seems a guy was out hunting and an accidental discharge of his shotgun blew a hole in the top of his gearbox. (I get a kick out of imagining that scene.) The story was that he drained the gearbox to pick the debris out and then JB Welded a piece of a beer can (don't act so surprised!) over the hole, then poured the gear lube back in. Yeehaw!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

...Another Laugh!

On the '83 FE, the current engine came out of an '81 DX that had been crunch in the front end to the extent that there was a puncture in the oil pan from something. When I test ran the engine prior to pulling it out and installing it into the FE, oil came out of the hole and one of the less enlightened mechanics said that it was BIG trouble. All I did was JB (Quick Weld) a small piece of sheet metal and there it stays to this day, leak free.

OTOH, if you want a truly super strong metal like repair, use Devcon titanium putty. But it costs a lot more!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:IoqdnT_v7o_5FobbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Me too. But I think this is an urban legend.

The shot would have had to drive its way through the transmission tunnnel before it got to the cast steel/aluminum gearbox housing. What kind of shot was he loaded with? If 7-1/2 or 9 shot, no dice. If 0 or 00, then maybe it might be possible.

And how is it the barrel was pointed down? Most people point the muzzle UP when entering a vehicle.

Reply to
Tegger

A lot of modern gear box designs are reincarnations of those of the

1930's where a sheet metal plate replaced what used to house the shifter mechanism. So, it's entirely possible he was telling the truth.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:Cp8Th.283169$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

WTF was he doing transporting the shotgun LOADED? Or cocked? Hunters know better,or should. IMO,bullshit.

JB Weld would have never stuck to such an oily surface as a gearbox.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

These plates are located where little or no oil could accumulate.

Besides, no one knows the actual circumstances.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns990FB28E954DAjyanikkuanet@64.209.0.84:

AND with his finger in the trigger guard!! Stupid! Guns do NOT "just go off".

Ayup.

Reply to
Tegger