Heater Fan has stopped blowing! (Escort GTi 98 model)

My car was standing for a couple of months while doing a repair and now for some reason, the heater fan has stopped blowing.

I have checked the fuse but this hasnt blown so i'm at a loss as to why this has stopped working all of a sudden. I know the switch dial is working as you can hear the air condition ing unit kick in when switched on but the fan isnt rotating to blow in the cooled air!

Can anyone help?

Reply to
Aeropars

That's confusing... isnt there a separate switch for fan speed?

Anyway, start at the blower motor and work back. If there's a multiwire connection in that harness attached to the heater assembly, then pull it out and check it.

Otherwise, did you disturb wiring in any way while doing the repair?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The switch has a turning mechanism for the fan and you push the switch in to activate the air conditionoing. YOu obviously wouldnt want the air con on with no fan movement.

I'm not quite sure what it is your asking me to do there? I'm not a pro at the mechanic thing but i'm alright on electronics so you might need to talk in a bit more plain english for me to understand.

Thanks for your help so far!

Reply to
Aeropars

The switch has a turning mechanism for the fan and you push the switch in to activate the air conditionoing. YOu obviously wouldnt want the air con on with no fan movement.

I'm not quite sure what it is your asking me to do there? I'm not a pro at the mechanic thing but i'm alright on electronics so you might need to talk in a bit more plain english for me to understand.

Thanks for your help so far!

Reply to
Aeropars

If you're 'okay' at electronics, then what I wrote shouldnt be too hard to grasp.

quote: Anyway, start at the blower motor and work back. If there's a multiwire connection in that harness attached to the heater assembly, then pull it out and check it. unquote

The blower runs on DC, probably two wires going to it. They are in a harness, follow the harness....

Just WHAT dont you understand?!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

There's a pretty good chance that the resistor pack which controls the fan speeds needs to be replaced. It's located in the blower motor housing below the glove box, just above where the front passenger's feet would rest.

It has a 3-wire connector, and is held in place with a couple of machine screws. Besides the 3 resistors of various sizes, there's also a thermal fuse that opens when the temp exceeds about 215 degrees, or the current exceeds 15 amps. It's also possible that the 3-wire connector is corroded, and can be cleaned up with a thin file or emery paper. The connector has a release tab that must be depressed to disconnect it.

If the pack needs to be replaced, it costs about $12 at a Ford dealer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Aeropars,

First, check to see if the blower motor still works. Unplug the connection at the blower motor. Run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the blower motor. If the motor willnot work, most likely it needs replacing. I replaced a blower motor on my 93 Aerostar a month ago after I checked the old motor in this manner.

Don't know how hard it is to replace a blower motor on an Escort, but the job was a piece of cake on the Aerostar.

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit