97 Honda Accord Trouble

Car Info:

97 Honda Accord SE roughly 130,000 miles salvage title (front end collision, repaired [supposedly] No prior trouble till recent collision.

My car just started to make a really loud noise and I'm getting odd vibration. Roughly a month ago I got into an accident that involved hidding a curb with my passenger front tire. The damage I was told by the mechanic, although I've come to not trust this mechanic anymore, was the following: Spindle, Ball bearings, Control Arms, and Alignment. All of which I had him repair, costing me around 1200US with labor.

After I got my car back I noticed a odd noise. I've attempted to get a hold of this mechanic but they always seem to be busy.

I tolerated the noise because I have no money to take it to get checked at the moment. But suddently to day the noise got 10x worse and now the car vibrates oddly. I noticed handling and steering isn't affected. But it does make some really loud noise when turning sometimes. I've got a constant "clank--clank--clank" type of noise. Now it is a louder clank, vibration, with a random sharp clank.

I read on some of the forums that it could be my front axle. It is something I've been wondering. I plan on taking the car to a dealer or a recommended mechanic. I'm going to have them look it over and check the prior mechanics work, if it doesn't check out I'm taking that mechanic to court.

Aside all that, can anyone make a guess at what could be wrong?

Thanks.

Reply to
Railven via CarKB.com

Certainly its something to do with the axle and wheel that was damaged. I'm guessing that some corners were cut during the "repair". eg parts reassembled rather than replaced. If the control arms had to be replaced, the axle probably needed replacement too. It may have been pushed into the transmission, causing impact damage.

It sounds like the car is probably unsafe. Get it looked at immediately, either at the garage that "fixed" it if you can, or elsewhere.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Certainly I was thinking that from the get go. After my little accident I started reading various Honda forums and I kept coming to same conclusion that I had axle trouble. I guess now I should do something about since the car feels totally unsafe while driving.

I do remember the mechanic saying the impact bent the engine carriage in and that he had to pull it a bit. I wonder how this "a bit" actually was now.

Would have any idea how much a new azle would run me?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Railven via CarKB.com

Are all your lug nuts tight?

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Of course, that was my first suspect. As soon as the noise started I pulled over on the highway and checked them all with my jack. I even took off the tire to reposition it from the spot where it sounded the loudest.

It turns out it is the axle. A mechanic in the family took it for a drive and said something about the caps, gasket I believe he said, on the ends of the axle are taking wear and tear. I had driven it during a recent thunder storm, probably th emost rain we've had here in New England since my first car accident. He thinsk the rain could have gotten dirt into the joints and is slowly destroying them.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Railven via CarKB.com