Adding Acetone to your tank increases MPG

Acetone increases fuel efficiency

-1oz of acetone per 5 gallons fuel

Has anyone tried this? I would be interested to hear what you all thing. Some say fact, some say fiction, some say maybe. There is only one way to find out.

-Ben

Reply to
Ben B

is it full moon? something in the water? lack of pbr?

i don't get what's with all this acetone hoaxing. aren't there drug treatments available for people like this?

Reply to
jim beam

If you can't afford to drive the vehicle because of the mileage take the bus!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Acetone sure will rid the car of any RUBBER hoses, gaskets, seals, and o-rings! Not to mention all the PLASTICS used in the Fuel System!

Reply to
Linuxiac

No. that's not right. The worst that acetone _might_ do at 0.25% to 0.5% concentrations is remove some unwanted combustion deposits. People should really step back & use their heads when reacting to new ideas like this & stop regurgitating knee-jerk reactions they read on the internet & newsgroups. If people would really _think_ about the concentrations they are talking about & then really _think_ about how little they know about the chemical properties & the physical chemical dynamics of concentrations, they wouldn't type things just to see their reaction in print on the internet. No personal offense to this poster is intended. Rich

Reply to
Rich

so where's the evidence? some appalachian redneck in a ford exploder posting on some crank website alledging he gets 30% improvement in mileage doesn't convince me. you have any credible citations?

Reply to
jim beam

False. I used acetone on plastic underground gas station lines last week for cleaning/drying, in preparation for fusion welding.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

The rubes are rampant. It used to be moth balls. My fave is the magnetic thingy on the fuel line. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Depends on the kind of plastic. Acetone in general is an excellent solvent for plastics and is an ingredient in paint remover.

Reply to
Gordon Zola

Acetone is fairly inert to olefins such as polypropylene or polyethylene........the above claim you initially responded to referencing "all plastics" is false. It will not affect most polyamides or acetyl (POM) materials either.

Reply to
L Alpert

Um....re-read my post. I said nothing in defense of the mileage claims. I was only addressing the chicken little response about all things plastic melting in your car because 0f 0.25% acetone in your gas. Acetone in 100% concentrations is frequently packaged in plastic bottles. Rich

Reply to
Rich

so where's the beef? all you're doing is demonstrating the fact that there's a lot of uninformed people expressing opinions on a subject about which they have not the slightest clue.

Reply to
jim beam

If you are implying by your reply that I am an uninformed person without the slightest clue about the significance of concentration dynamics, one would wonder how you would know so much about me inasmuch as in the practice of my profession, were I not to understand concentrations & misinterpret them, it could result in serious injury up to & including death for one or more persons. With all due respect, I do believe that all you have accomplished is to demonstrate "the fact that there's a lot of uninformed people expressing opinions on a subject about which they have not the slightest clue." The subject in question would be my qualifications to comment on the relative innocuousness of adding a combustible substance of such low concentrations to a tank full of a different substance that will be cobusted. It's just common sense. Rich

Reply to
Rich

what, like using storage in a "plastic" bottle in an assumption that acetone is safe for use with all fuel system polymers?

nothing personal, but let's try to keep within the realms of what we /know/ to be true, not what we hope/assume to be true. if we don't /know/ we have nothing to say.

Reply to
jim beam

We have no bus system here. Sorry. Would you try to save fuel if it cost $5/gallon?

twfsa wrote:

Reply to
Ben B

Acetone is used in various carburetor and choke cleaners:

Yes, it is a very small percentage, but to say that any amount of acetone will rid the car of any rubber in the fuel system must not be speaking with much experience with cleaning products.

Reply to
Ben B

That further begs the question: why in cleaners and not in additives? We brush our teeth with things we'd never eat. Carb cleaners are made to be used on metal and wiped away or sucked through the engine quickly. Fuel additives are made to be in prolonged contact with the inside of the entire fuel system - hoses, seals and all.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Why not ask europeans - been that much there for years.

Americans have heavily subsidised cheap gas, and so detuned engines, to ft with their slushboxes, and to run quieter for comfort.

I remember when this acetone myth hit the UK, friend was run off his feet with work fixing cars by people stupid enough to do it.

Reply to
flobert

Do you know what repairs were needed?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Arguing on usenet is like competing in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still a retard."

Reply to
Bacchus