Another gassy subject

In keeping with the topic of gasoline in the previous posts, I have noticed Shell (Canada) advertising Nitrogen infused gasoline.

I'm thinking it's a load of water buffalo dung.

Any opinions on this?

Reply to
Iowna Uass

I believe what Shell is advertising is an additive or additives that CONTAIN(S) nitrogen (i.e., a nitrogen compound), not nitrogen per se. I don't think elemental nitrogen is especially soluble in gasoline.

I have no idea how effective the additive is, but I suppose Shell had a reason to put it in the gas, and some reason to think it works.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

"Paul" wrote in news:kka1m.3599$kA.600 @nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

I've been wondering about this myself.

offers zero in the way of the chemistry (not that I'm a chemist, but I know the difference between N2 and other N-containing compounds).

Personally, I have no opinion at all until I have some specifics on just what they're putting in there and why it's so good.

Remember, it wasn't so long ago that Shell had to pay for all sorts of warranty claims on vehicles whose fuel-level measurement systems were damaged by Shell gasolines.

Reply to
Tegger

Does anyone remember the Shell Platformate commercials in the 1960s? Typically a car with Shell minus Platformate would run around the track until it ran out of gas. Then an identical car running Shell with Platformate would break through the banner denoting the first car's expiration point. Never found out what Platformate was either.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I remember those ads! My guess is it was more gas. ;-)

Reply to
Leftie

Nitrogen is used in many places for oxygen free environments. This removes ambient moisture from the process...not sure if this is why they use it in this instance, but the us of nitrogen is commonplace in polymer processing of hydroscopic resins.

Reply to
L Alpert

it's not nitrogen gas like you're talking about, it's nitrogen compounds. apparently it's simply reformulation of their detergents.

Reply to
jim beam

Hmm, not sure if could have anything to do with lowering moisture as a compound. I wonder what do they claim is the added benefit to what they are advertising? Google is my freind.....here is a quick blurb on it from cnet....

L Alpert

Considering oxides of nitrogen are prime pollution species, it doesn't sound good.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Maybe it's nitromethane. ;-)