burning rubber smell coming from tire

98 civic LX 270000kms 5spd 4dr

Last few days when I get home, I smell burning rubber, and have tracked it down to the passenger rear tire.

The tire has been making the 'thump thump thump' noise for a while, so I swapped it out for another tire I have sitting around. Took the car for a test drive, went 2 miles at about 140kph. Got back and the smell was still there!

What could be causing this? The tire I pulled off does not appear to be badly worn. It is well above the wear bars, rolls without falling over, and is not cupped.

I'm thinking alignment.... ideas?

loewent via CarKB.com

Brake is stuck on in wheel making things very hot.

Reply to
Art

Brake is not stuck, wheel turns freely.

Besides, wouldn't it be a 'burning brake' smell then? This is definitely burning (or hot) rubber.

Art wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Many similar (CR-V) posts at