RE: burning rubber smell

Just started, but I can smell the burning rubber from the vents and see the smoke for 2 seconds coming from the hood when the car is shut off, can narrow it down when I pop the hood. Starting to worry me a bit.

it's on a 1998 Outback Legacy, any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks for your time folks.

claug AT shaw DOT ca

Reply to
ruez46

Might be leaky head gaskets dripping oil on the exhaust manifold.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Yep, or a split CVJ boot slinging grease onto the exhaust.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'll go with Carl. CV boot torn is most common slinging grease. Most common one for me is the one over the exhaust system. Look for a tare in the rubber and greasy spots around where the boot spins

Reply to
Bob Noble

Yes I would agree too. Last time I smelled burning grease, I ordered the boot kit to repair the "torn boot"

When I was going to do the job, I found out that the oil seal was leaking and that the boot was perfect. :(

Bob Noble wrote:

Reply to
AS

Well, that's what happens when you order parts BEFORE you diagnose the problem. ;-)

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

The saga continues:

I ordered the seals from the subaru dealer, picked them up and disassembled the car to find:

- The oil seal I got from the dealer was the wrong one.

- The reason why the oil seal failed is because the ring gear bearing inner race is rotating free on the ring gear carrier, generating metal particles that lodged by the oil seal's lip, causing it to leak.

- The oil put in there is a pos

- The other oil seal, which was dry a couple of weeks ago, is starting to leak.

Grrrr.

Dano58 wrote:

Reply to
AS