2008 Honda Accord

We've owned several LX Accords through out the years and the 2008 model, is by far, the worst of the bunch.

First and foremost, it's the cheapest Accord that we've seen to date. Gone are the LED-illuminated tachometer, LED brake lights, and illumination lights on all 4-doors. Gone are the individualized engine component protectors that were touted by salesmen in the previous generation Accord. My 2006 Accord LX came with Michelins. The 2008 LX comes with Dunlops.

The elegant and simple-to-use interior of the previous model has been replaced with cluttered and confusing array of buttons. The tiny, triangular door lock buttons are not only not user-friendly, they could be down-right dangerous in emergency situations. Gone are the chrome-finish door handles, replaced with cheap looking silver plastic handles. I could go on. The bottom line: the quality of the interior material seem vastly inferior to the previous LX models - it looks and feels CHEAP.

The truck space, while at first glance looks deeper, has been rendered useless due to the widened wheel wells intruding from both sides. In the older Accords, I was able to carry 10-speed bicycle in the trunk without the wheels. I doubt I would be able to do that now.

The ride is very harsh, both on the body (yours) and on the chassis. The response of the vehicle is dull and sluggish. Gone are the days of Accords with fast, quick and nimble response with comfortable ride for hours on end (like my '94). The gas mpg isn't impressive either, compared to the older Accords and other vehicles in this segment.

In summary, to those who know the "OLD HONDA", the 2008 Accord LX will probably appear to be a giant step backward. Compared to the several older LX Accord models that I've owned, 2008 Accord LX was a real disappointment to me.

And for the price, there are several American models that deliver more bang for the buck, in my opinion.

Honda no longer appears to be interested in manufacturing quality vehicles like it used to, and appears to be bent on cutting costs and parts (literally) and sacrificing quality from their bread and butter, the Accord line.

I would avoid it like a plague.

Reply to
lazyquest

Smells like a Detroit salesman, suffering from withdrawals of his paycheque.

Reply to
Brian Smith

No posting history according to Google Groups. gmail account. Indeed sounds like a troll.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

He may have posted under another name. But in any event, whether a troll or not, he does provide some objective assessment....even though you apparently don't like what he had to say....

Reply to
Jack Pott

I looked at it and liked it. The tests I have read indicate your observations are flat wrong.

Reply to
tww1491

If he is a troll, he has probably posted under a hundred different names. Legitimate posters use a consistent identity when the post to a forum. When they post for the first time to a new forum, they don't come in with a flaming attack.

Well, that would be the issue, wouldn't it? It is hard to judge the objectivity of someone we don't know and who has no public history. Still, he apparently did at least a little homework on the car assuming the factual information he mentions is correct. I wouldn't discount everything he says, but I wouldn't weight it very heavily either.

I am not fond of trolls or troll-like behavior. And, as the other poster stated, this smells like a troll.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I just wanted to express my disappointment on the new 2008 Accord LX.

I still drive my '94 Accord LX to work everyday. And on occasion, we take out the 2006 Accord LX. We just donated '89 Accord LX to a local charity, mainly because it was getting difficult to find key parts for it - otherwise it was in a good shape to this day. They were all purchased new.

Reply to
lazyquest

First I won't call you a troll just because you are bashing the new Accord. While some of your review seems subjective, the rest sounds more factual. I can appreciate your review after reading 3 other professional reviews. I recall the other reviews said that the trunk was supposed to be the same size but as you pointed out, that doesn't mean it's just as practical or useable and the cabin is supposedly 3 cu. ft. larger in volume over the previous model. I also previously read that the dashboard controls seemed cluttered in agreement with you tho I don't know if this is true without the navigation tool/option.

Reply to
Honda guy

I looked at the LX - P which is a bargain. You can get it with a 5 speed auto or the manual. This LX has 4 wheel disc brakes and alloys and power driver seat with alloys. The base I4 now has 177 hp which is more than enough. The dash looked simple enough. and the car is very roomy. The tests I have read and a video confirm it handling -- a Honda hallmark. Of course, I have no reason to get rid of my 0-6 I4 EX coupe.

Reply to
tww1491

Reply to
Dano58

3400 pounds, that's what jumps out at me.

For the last five (ten? twenty?) years it seems like all the Japanese manufacturers used the same generic designs - and clutter. My 04 and

07 Accords are OK, nothing more, and look an awful lot like Toyotas and Mazdas and I'm not sure how many others.

I really don't want a larger car, the 07 is larger than I like.

I expect to look for the TSX, or maybe a Civic, next time around. Or, y'know, a non-Honda product.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Reply to
Slider

Did you buy it? Or is this from a "Test drive" ?

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Reply to
Slider

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Every automaker keeps making their autos bigger and heavier with each new model. They never learn. I can recall when the Accord was the size of today's Civics.

Neither Honda or Acura currently make anything that interests me. They need to bring back the Prelude and Integra.Maybe the CRX,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Agreed. Although gas mileage is much better, the cars are also getting bloated. Personally I really liked the design/style of some of the older Accords vs. the newer ones. If they want performance and gas mileage, just think what they can do if the cars were smaller, lighter and more nimble.

I miss the Prelude (used to have an '89) and Integra too. More style and character.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

"Dave L" wrote in news:8Oqdne4hbtSquWbbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I owned 86 SI and 90 SI Preludes.In 93,TWO hailstorms trashed my 90(only 20 K miles on it!),and the Lude of that date was ugly,so I went with the Integra GS-R. That got stolen 29 June 07. Couldn't find a 98-01 Prelude at a price I could afford,so I got a Nissan SE-R Spec V. DEFINITELY not Honda quality. I avoided the Hondas because of their theft problems.I would have bought another GS-R except that I couldn't keep it from getting stolen/stripped,too.

2007 is NOT my year for autos....
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Whoa, they must have been some nasty hailstorms! What part of the country are you in? I'll agree with you on the Nissans. I bought a used '92 SE-R and you're right - the fit & finish was not the same as the the Celica I had. It was a blast to drive although the stick shift was the worst compared to the Hondas and Toyota manuals I've owned.

I think the Integras had one of the higher theft rates. 2007 is almost over. How else is your Spec V treating you?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

"Dave L" wrote in news:CbmdnYlm3_Mj7WHbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Orlando,Fl.

Got a bad wheel bearing (it's an -03),and a throttle problem,ECU set a code of "idle too high",and the throttle is slow to drop after you take your foot off,and then revs back up and down again before settling down. (electronically controlled throttle!)The latter problem may be a software problem that of course,only the dealer can reflash the ECU with the newer SW.

at least the Nissan service manual is downloadable.

Reply to
Jim Yanik