Ignitor in a 00 Si

How do I test if its bad?

Im not getting any spark to my plugs. I ran an ohm test on the coil and it looks to be fine. I checked for voltage coming from the + and - from the harness going to the dizzy and I have power. I checked the + and - coming out of the ignitor and theres no power.

I dont wanna just run out and get one, called discount auto they want 220$ for one and if I plug it in and it doesnt fix the problem, Ill get screwed out of that money since its electrical.

Anyone have any thoughts or know how to test the ignitor? Thx a bunch

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

I read thru gramham's page ( great info, thank you ) and made the LED light. I tested the ECU wire ( T4 )and ground. Now he states " the LED should pulse ", well mine stayed on solid, just at a low light level.

Here I didnt follow what he was saying " The Yel/Grn wire on pin 2 of the Igniter, however, is not responding to the signal on pin 4 (White wire) from the ECU". Is he saying connect the wire from pin 2 and ground it out, or connect it to the wire on pin 4? If I connect wire from pin 2 and pin

4, I get nothing. If I connect wire from pin 4 and ground it out, I get a solidly light LED.

Now onto his directions from the diagrahm on how to check it.

I did step 1 and 2 as said. Step 3, I did have voltage. Step 4, I had no voltage. Now he stated to check the wire and the coil. The wire is fine and when I checked my old coil, the ohm reading was ok and when measured against a new coil it was exactly the same reading. So I dont think its the coil either, which leaves me where? It sounds like he is saying that if theres no voltage, its 1 of the 2 problems not the ignitor, but both of what he suggestion are fine.

On to what you said for testing.

I got really confused ( sorry ). You want me to reconnect the pin 3 wire (

12v ) back onto pin 3. Then using my LED tester connect pin 2 and pin 3. After I do that I need to connect pin 4 to 12 volts and OV ( what does OV stand for ). Also iirc I dont know what stands for.

Sure hope you can help me understand this better. Thanks for your help so far.

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

TeGGer..

Step 1 and 3 are all good.

Step 2, no voltage.

This this means that the ignitor is definetly bad, correct?

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

No, heres what I did.

Ran my test light to ground and blk/yel wire, got power.

Ran my test light to ground and the wht / blue terminal, no power

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

terminal T3 is power in feed and T4 is out to the coil, so wouldnt that suggest that somewhere inside the ignitor its lossing its signal, in turn creating a bad ignitor?

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

Actually T4 that goes to the coil is marked on the coil -

So T4 shouldnt have power coming out of it, right?

T3 has a tap that runs a wire to the + of the coil.

Now Im confused... Or does this take me back to still being a bad ignitor since Im not seeing any voltage between T3 and T4?

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

Wow sorry Jim, I didnt realize how posting replies work on here, never saw your response up here.

So if my light stays solid, no pulse, that is a sure sign the ignitor is dead?

Yes, my ignition is exactly the same as grahman described/showed. Its still hooked up to the distributor, but easy to get to. I have the tools needed as you described also, but im alittle confused still on how you want me to connect everything.

Heres what you said and tell me if Im wrong.

you can test it by fixing the ignitor t3 to +12V, connecting a small bulb between t2 & t3, then connecting t4 between +12V & 0V. the bulb should light with t4 at +12V, iirc. either way, ignitor output should /definitely/ change state when t4 changes state. if it doesn't, ignitor's dead.

My understanding = take a wire connect it to a 12v source and the t3 teminal. Connect a light between t2 and t3, then connect t4 back to the

12v source and the OV ( not sure I can access it ).

If thats right, great cause then Im on the same page as you. If not, well im still lost then. What if I cant get a connection to the OV?

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

Thanks Jim, got it nailed down last night. Push the car in the garage at

3:30am, shesh... Turns out bad igniter..
Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com

Thanks TeGGeR, got it nailed down last night. Push the car in the garage at 3:30am, shesh... Turns out bad igniter..

Reply to
JDM Whore via CarKB.com