Maintenace Required Light

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the maintenqce required light on a '99 Accord. It just had the works done for the 120k service by Honda and does not need maintenance.

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

I'd love to know as well. I have a '04 Civic. I had the 15,000 maintenance done at Midas, the light went on around 18K. I took it to Honda yesterday just in case it needed something else. The tech pushed and held two buttons on the dash, one which seemed to be the speedometer. The other was further under the steering wheel.

Reply to
GK

----------------------

Has HOnDA stopped the practice of including OWNER'S MANUALS with their vehicles? My '97 and my '98 both came with one . . . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

I don't believe that's the case. The real problem is with the school system. Reading from books is not taught any longer.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

On my 2002 Honda Civic, the procedure is NOT listed in the owners manual. Just the generic"take it in" speech. I did an internet search and did trial and error based on several different methods. The method that seemed to work was 1) press and HOLD odometer reset PB and

2) Turn ignition to start. (start the vehicle). I might have had to do this twice.

Occurred at ~ 32K miles, well after the 30K maintenance. Evidently the milage trigger was not reset at that time.

Bernie

Reply to
Bluegoose

That's interesting, the instructions are listed in my Owners Manual for my

2001 Accord.

My instructions state to hold the reset button in, while turning the ignition switch to the "run" position without starting the engine.

Something didn't work as it was supposed to, that's evident.

Brian

P.S. Now the original Poster knows how to reset his Maintenance indicator without reading his manual, lol.

B.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Evidently no one taught manners either. Simple question, could've been a simple answer. Most of the questions here could be answered in owner's manuals. People simply respond out of courtesy.

Reply to
GK

Turning the key to the "run" position without starting was one of the trial methods that didn't work for me. Again, this was not covered in My owners manual, just take it in and have them check it type stufff.

Bernie

Reply to
Bluegoose

It's strange how it's mentioned in one Manual and not in the next one.

Reply to
Brian Smith

When the question can be answered much faster by calling a dealership or looking the answer up in the Owners Manual or even doing a search of previous topics covered in any newsgroup, it becomes seeing the same question asked over and over again.

As a matter of fact the same question was asked at the start of this week, the middle of last week, the end of the week before and so on since I've been participating/lurking here.

It only takes a few minutes (or days) depending on which method a person wants to employ to find the answer he (or she) is looking for.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

"GK" wrote

It's not so much about manners as much as people here seem to CARE that other Honda owners learn to be self-reliant, and to discover they can actually -- gosh -- learn something on their own. What would you have done before the Internet existed? (That's a serious question.)

Just for "fun" I got out my '04 Accord manual to see if I could find it. It took a while; it's listed under Instruments and Controls/Gauges. I first looked under the Maintenance heading, and it was not there.

The people who are showing "bad manners" here are venting their frustrations at similar past inquiries... and effectively taking it out on you, the latest victim. ;)

Reply to
Howard Lester

I looked again and found it also. I must have been in a hurry with the manual.

Bernie

Reply to
Bluegoose

I found the answer to my own question here:

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this answer, and not to all the know-it-alls out there with the wise cracks who have a lot to say except to answer the question.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You have to hold the reset and leave it in run until the maint light goes out, It isn't instant...

Reply to
Woody

The dealer should have reset it when he did the service. Call him and ask why he didn't and make him explain how to reset it. Next time he may remember. The light does not have to be on to do the reset. It should be reset when the service is done to start a new cycle. Done properly you will never see the Maint light on........

Reply to
Woody

Thank you for the link. That's one to bookmark.

Reply to
GK

Are you sure you're not mixing up the description of the Service Engine and Maintenance Required lights? One is resettable via the dash (MRL) the other requires a scan tool (SER).

Reply to
Seth

Funny thing is, the "know-it-alls" with the "wise cracks" are usually the more knowledgeable people who may now not help you with a serious problem in the future. Polite or not, they are trying to guide you towards your FIRST line of defense, the owners manual. SECOND line is reviewing the previously covered topics, then if not found ask.

Now, they may have added you to their kill filters, so next time you're here, up a creek with a serious problem, they will ignore you.

Reply to
Seth

I have recently become one of the legion advising every driver to read the owner's manual front to back. I've come across a couple posts (in other groups) by people who may have damaged their car by doing what they didn't know was wrong although the manual said it plainly. In Hondas, the timing belt change interval and not shifting automatics forward/reverse while rolling are good examples. RTFM or pay dearly.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

not everyone bought their car new. I have had 2 hondas now (used) and neither came with any manuals. Off to Ebay to get one everytime.

Reply to
RM