Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

You recall correctly. However, he did also post the same question to the Honda newsgroup about a Pilot. Same exact message, except for the Pilot.

Perhaps it did. However, that doesn't mean it is right for today's vehicles.

Just like when I used to bore and hone blocks myself.
But today's cars and trucks have much closer clearances.

7 years ago? A lot has changed since then.

Any old car made to yesterday's specs.
> and as someone pointed out, they're still listed in the manual:

Actually, I don't recall anything about varying the speed. And avoiding the abrupt starts and stops was for the brakes.

No reason not to with today's engines.

You seem to be make a mountain.

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:54:15 +0000, Jeff wrote:

Look at one of my posts to jim beam. I posted what I found from the Honda owner's manual, and from a Highlander. The Honda's didn't really say a lot, the Highlander did say not to drive the car at any one speed for a period of time.

What's so much different? Still iron block and aluminum heads with steel pistons and rings.
And everyone keeps throwing 'closer tolerances' at me. I would think it would be MORE important to take it easy the first couple thousand miles if walls are thinner, etc.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

so what exactly is happening with the motor at one speed that's not happening at another? perhaps you can explain?

hondas are aluminum block, but you don't let the details worry you much, do you?

"thinner"??? exactly what difference do you think that would make???
On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:19:26 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Gee, I don't know. Why do you suppose the Highlander's manual said to avoid at any one constant speed for an extended distance?
Explain that one, Genius.

I was answering in the Toyota group. It was crossposted. But, since aluminum is a much softer metal, I think I'd want to take a little care during the first thousand miles or so.

Gee, I dunno. Perhaps excessive wear caused by someone not being careful during break in would cause irrepairable damage, for example?
Thinner walls means replacing the block rather than boring and honing.
Speaking of boring...
hachiroku wrote:

i was hoping you'd tell me!

it's an aluminum block, but it's not an aluminum liner!!!

to the aluminum block???

dude, you're clueless. you can re-bore a standard honda block twice - +0.25mm & +0.50mm.

you need to do some homework.
On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:23:49 -0700, jim beam wrote:

I haven't re-bored anything on 4 cars >240,000 miles. No need to.
They were broken in properly...
hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

that's as logical as saying that because you've never found an elephant in your fridge, that elephants don't like butter.
high mileage survival is not a function of your, er, "departure" from the service schedule - hondas and toyotas ROUTINELY get 300k+ miles on a motor, no re-bores. all that 240k proves is that [because of good production and engineering] it has survived in spite of your behavior, not because of it.
On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:06:08 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

dude, you don't know what you don't know. and because of that, you're propagating bullshit.
On Wed, 14 May 2008 20:49:58 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Bite me. I know plenty. I have 3 20 year old cars here that run like champs.
Maintenance is a wonderful thing. I sure hope the OP left long before you started your spew. If he listens to you he'll probably be scrapping the car at 50,000 miles.
I've seen people do the "Break it in like you're going to drive it" crap and have to do some pretty major repairs, not only to the engines, but to the transmissions, too. Oh, and I change my trans oil (Manual) every 60,000 miles, too. The manual says it's good for the life of the car. No thanks.
Oh, hey, did I ever mention, one of the cars that went over 225,000 miles was an auto. The rest were 5 speeds, and ya know what? They did it on the original clutches. Never replaced a U-Joint, either, and I certainly don't drive them like Grandpa. I own fast cars cause I like to drive FAST.

So what is your response when the Corvette engineers document that very behavior as the desired state?
On Thu, 15 May 2008 06:22:58 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

They told my friend that when he bought his new Camaro. He bought it three days after I bought my new Corolla. He traded the car after 3.5 years with all kinds of trouble. I kept my Corolla for 6 years and got a new Corolla. That was 22 years ago, and I still have the replacement, and it still runs, and it still doesn't burn any oil.
What does it take to convince you Three Stooges?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Real evidence, not anecdotes.
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Jeff
On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:12:47 +0000, Jeff wrote:

Come on over! We'll start up the 23 year old Corolla, and you can see for yourself.
Jeff wrote:

Usenet, as we know it, would cease to exist if real evidence were provided instead on anecdotal evidence.

I like that!
On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:27:26 -0700, SMS wrote:

Like I told Jeff, who just likes to argue to argue, come on over and we'll start the 23 year old Corolla.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

it's a corolla - starting a corolla with low mileage like that is totally unimpressive.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:12:36 -0700, jim beam wrote:

260,000 miles is 'low mileage'?

Question: would the sludge-filled Toyota engines have benefited from 3K changes vs. 5K or 7.5K changes?
The fact is, the carmakers put out products of sometimes questionable quality. The Toyota sludging engines are an example. We, the consumers, won't know this until it's too late.
3K changes are insurance against that.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

the /correct/ insurance against that is opening the oil filler cap and looking inside once in a while. you should do that anyway when checking for fluid levels, leaks, etc., as with many cars, it's where you'll see first signs of head gasket leakage.