Timing Chain vs. Belt (2023 Update)

Reply to
Steve Giannoni

Nothing very specific on that floating around. Some metal gears have nylon teeth which make them cheaper and easier to produce. Years ago, I had a 1988 Olds Cutlas wagon with a plastic gear. It shredded as I started it up to leave work. Luckily the car wasn't in motion. I turned off the engine right away. And had no chain slap damage. Some are all nylon. I don't really care much about engine noise. So I told the mechanic to put an all metal gear for the chain.

I just had the timing belt and water pump changed on my 97 CRV, a few months ago.

Reply to
4546

I had a commercial "mixmaster", food mixer that goes over and into the bowl of food, very heavy and had space for 3 beaters, but the gears inside were made of fiber board or something. 3 teeth had come off. I tried to make new teeth with PC-70, I think it was, and it worked for a short while and then broke again.

Reply to
micky