Which direction to loosen crankshaft pully bolt?

I have to take off this pully to replace the timing belt. Is is regular threaded (counter clockwise to loosen)? or reverse threaded (clockwise to loosen)? Thanks for you help!

Reply to
reid

google this group - regular question.

Reply to
jim beam

This bolt is right-hand threaded, so yes, it loosens by turning counterclockwise. It is, howevever, often notoriously tight. Some options for freeing it:

Would you please give your model of Honda and miles on it in the future, for info purposes in case this discussion proceeds further?

"reid" wrote

Reply to
Elle

I?m new here and have gone thru the all the messages I can see for 96 and 97 accords without seeing the "direction" for this huge bolt. Even the manual doesnt say, which makes me guess it?s a normal threaded bolt. But with the amount of force needed, I?d hate to start the wrong direction, and believe many of you have already done this. Thanks,

"jim beam" wrote: > reid wrote: > > I have to take off this pully to replace the timing belt. > Is is > > regular threaded (counter clockwise to loosen)? > > or reverse threaded (clockwise to loosen)? > > Thanks for you help! > > > google this group - regular question.

Reply to
reid

Yep, it's normal thread, that's why the huge torque. When you reinstall it, don't leave it too loose or it will undo itself.

it's normal righty tighty. if you couldn't find it, it was because you were just looking just for accords - all honda motors are the same in this regard.

be warned - these bolts get /real/ tight.

#1 best solution is a high torque air impact fixed to a high volume air supply.

#2 is use a 3/4" drive and a holding tool like you'll see at

i have a 3/4" breaker bar, 16" extension [gets you outside the wheel well], 3/4"F>1/2"M adapter and a 17mm impact socket - bolts come right off with that!

#3 is run the risk of injury, car damage and tool breakage with 1/2" drive tools and cheater bars.

Reply to
jim beam

As the others say, it's normal thread and tight as the very devil. The links to TeGGeR's site will give you the whole run-down.

I do want to mention that the crank turns CCW, unlike most engines. Don't turn it CW in trying to get the &$#! bolt loose and don't try the trick of putting the cheater bar on a jack stand and bumping the starter... the cheater bar will just whack the fender well.

I found a 500 ft-lb impact with 90 psi right at the tool got mine loose after a bit of trying.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee