01 Sonata trouble codes

I have an 01 V6 Sonata that is experiencing the following trouble codes. P

0442 (evaporative emission control system leak, small leak) and P 0455 (evaporative emission control system leak, gross leak)

What are the odds of this being a problem with the gas cap? I have cleared the ECM of all trouble codes and will give it another try. I have been told to check the lines going to the charcoal canister as well. Just glancing under the hood, the canister isn't visible. Where is it located?

Thanks

Reply to
anhunt

These codes could well have been stored by an improperly installed gas cap. The system will most likely test itself again as you drive the vehicle. If the lamp doesn't come back in a week, it was probably just the gas cap installation.

The canister is under the car at the left rear. You're not likely to see anything of significance visually. In a few instances, I've seen intermittent failures of the canister close valve to seal.

Let it ride and see what happens. It won't affect your performance and presents no hazard of deeper issues. If the light comes back, then I'd recommend taking it in and having it checked.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
B Crawford

Typically a P0449 or P0446 will set if the canister filter is clogged. This occurs because the system cannot suck in fresh air as designed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
bee man

You need an OBD-II compatible code reader for cars 1996 and newer. Older cars have variousl methods depending on make and model.

Reply to
hyundaitech