03 Hyundai Elantra

Hello. I've owned the above car for 10 years and have always taken care of it. At 180k miles, I got a newer car and gave this one to my sister. I h ad the power steering belt replaced (squeaking) less than a year before. C ar was running great and just passed safety inspection in my state. When i t got to my sister's, the power steering belt broke and since then it won't start. Are the two things related? And is it possible for something more that caused the belt to break?

Thank you.

Reply to
tonita

With that mileage, anything can happen. Does the same belt turn the alternator? If so, it may have allowed the battery to go dead.

The belt can also break from something not turning with it, such as an idler pulley, alternator, PS pump.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hello. I've owned the above car for 10 years and have always taken care of it. At 180k miles, I got a newer car and gave this one to my sister. I had the power steering belt replaced (squeaking) less than a year before. Car was running great and just passed safety inspection in my state. When it got to my sister's, the power steering belt broke and since then it won't start. Are the two things related? And is it possible for something more that caused the belt to break?

Thank you.

What does it do when you try to start it? Does it do nothing (no sound etc); does it "click; does the engine turn but it doesn't start? Do the headlights work when you turn them on?

If it makes no sound when you try to start it, or it just makes a click, it could be a dead or low battery. And, if the headlights don't work, that also points to a dead battery.

Reply to
LenJP

They tested the battery, it's a little over a year old, and it's not dead. I think I did ask about the radio and lights but forgot the answer. I'll ask again.

Reply to
tonita

If you figure out what is (or was) wrong with it, let us know. Just curious.