03 Hyundai Elantra

Hello. I've owned the above car for 10 years and have always taken care of it. At 180k miles, I got a newer car and gave this one to my sister. I h
ad the power steering belt replaced (squeaking) less than a year before. C ar was running great and just passed safety inspection in my state. When i t got to my sister's, the power steering belt broke and since then it won't start. Are the two things related? And is it possible for something more that caused the belt to break?
Thank you.
On 2/15/2019 10:26 AM, tonita wrote:

With that mileage, anything can happen. Does the same belt turn the alternator? If so, it may have allowed the battery to go dead.
The belt can also break from something not turning with it, such as an idler pulley, alternator, PS pump.
"tonita" wrote in message
Hello. I've owned the above car for 10 years and have always taken care of it. At 180k miles, I got a newer car and gave this one to my sister. I had the power steering belt replaced (squeaking) less than a year before. Car was running great and just passed safety inspection in my state. When it got to my sister's, the power steering belt broke and since then it won't start. Are the two things related? And is it possible for something more that caused the belt to break?
What does it do when you try to start it? Does it do nothing (no sound etc); does it "click; does the engine turn but it doesn't start? Do the headlights work when you turn them on?
If it makes no sound when you try to start it, or it just makes a click, it could be a dead or low battery. And, if the headlights don't work, that also points to a dead battery.
They tested the battery, it's a little over a year old, and it's not dead. I think I did ask about the radio and lights but forgot the answer. I'll ask again.
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:42:36 PM UTC-5, LenJP wrote:

If you figure out what is (or was) wrong with it, let us know. Just curious.