06 Elantra Alarm

Owner's manual says that if car is locked with the remote, it can be unlocked w/remote or ignition key. When opening w/key, however, the alarm goes off. Called the local dealer and was told that the alarm will sound for 30 seconds or so if a key is used to open the car if it has been locked with the remote. This they said was normal. Only way around it is to lock the car w/the key.

If this is correct, is there a way to disable the alarm?

Reply to
M. Lewis

The alarm will only set if you lock the car with the remote. So, if you lock it any other way, the alarm will be disabled.

If the alarm is abled and you need to start the vehicle without the remote, you'll need to follow this procedure:

  1. Unlock the door, open it and get in. The alarm will be sounding.
  2. Put the key in the ignition, turn to the "start" position and release to the "on" position.
  3. Wait 30 seconds. This will be about 10 seconds more than the alarm sounds.
  4. Now start the car. It should start and the alarm is now disabled.
  5. If the car does not start, retry the procedure starting with step 2.
Reply to
hyundaitech

Thats correct

turning the ignition on will deactivate the alarm, thats the only way to disable the alarm if the remote is flat or missing, however the alarm will be going untill you turn the key on in the ignition.

Reply to
Shadow

It says in my manual "if installed". Nobody told me that I had a theft-alarm system in my 2005 Santa Fe. The sheet on the window did not mention it. I only found out about it when I tried to use the key to get into the car. Needless to say I was surprised.

Carl

Reply to
Carl