Ham and Elantra

I¹m willing to bet there are a few ham radio operators in this group.

I¹m taking delivery if my new Elantra GT Today. I¹m looking at how I should go about installing my Yaesu FT-8800 in the new car. I have the remote kit, and in my previous car had the front panel mounted in the dash just below the broadcast radio, with the body of the radio under the front passenger seat.

I¹m looking at mounting the front panel just under the lighter sockets, but am concerned if I¹ll have enough room on the right side where the microphone plugs in. I¹m also wondering what¹s a good place to pick up power and to mount a remote speaker.

If anyone has any experience with mounting a rig in an Elantra I¹d like to know how you got it to fit, pictures would be great if you have any of your installation.

Thanks for your help.

73 de KC1IH
Reply to
Larry Weil

Good luck, I have a 2011 Sonata I've been considering putting a radio in but I haven't gotten around to it. Space is really tight in the Sonata so it's probably even more so in the Elantra. For power I would go straight to the battery, this is what I've always done in my ham installations. For the current requirement of a transceiver, plus the potential for EMI/RFI both from the car to the radio and the other way around, a direct battery connection is the way to go. You just have to find a suitable pass-through to get the power cable into the engine compartment.

Reply to
mulder

A different story but it always amused me. A Ham friend got sick of Subaru WRX hoons racing up and down his street. He had a 2 kw linear amp to which he connected an antenna to and laid said antenna in a culvert that crossed under his street.( I think that was the story, was about 6 years ago he told me) Apparently soon as WRX,s got within 20 feet or so of culvert engine just stopped and they coasted

50 yards or so before they could start engine again. Unfortunately it affected all cars so he had to cease!

Good luck, I have a 2011 Sonata I've been considering putting a radio in but I haven't gotten around to it. Space is really tight in the Sonata so it's probably even more so in the Elantra. For power I would go straight to the battery, this is what I've always done in my ham installations. For the current requirement of a transceiver, plus the potential for EMI/RFI both from the car to the radio and the other way around, a direct battery connection is the way to go. You just have to find a suitable pass-through to get the power cable into the engine compartment.

Reply to
John