passanger airbag off

Has anybody encounter this message (passenger airbag disabled) even with adult passenger? I have it intermittently. Is this a big concern? FG

Reply to
FGionni
2006 sonata 4 cyl
Reply to
FGionni

I get it all the time with my wife, She weighs 115 lbs and always buckles up. It's only a big concern if you want the airbag to work.

Reply to
Rob

My wife is probably 140 and she also buckles up. Sure I want that damn thing to deploy in case of need. So you are saying that somehow the sensor is not properly calibrated and it might get fooled by the small size of the person. Next time I 'll be the passanger: I'm 6'5" and 250.

Reply to
FGionni

I'd have it checked. My 06 Sonata GL did that once shortly after I got it back in December. It was a really cold day and I just wrote it off to the seat cushion material being stiff at 15F or so. The light went out shortly thereafter and has never acted up since.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It's a known problem in the Elantra. There is no fix for it, but there may be a re-programming program soon that will allow you to choose between having the seat calibrated for an adult or for a child. What I wish they would offer is a way to just bypass the sensor and leave the damn thing on all the time.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Hyundai is not legally allowed to provide a way to bypass the occupant classification system. Occupant classification systems are now required by federal law.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I've been that is a requirement as of the 2005 model year. Is that correct? My car is an '04. I realize that Hyundai is not likely to provide a bypass method or mechanism even if it's legal.

There will never be a baby or young child in my passenger's seat, so it would be nice to be able to have the system on all the time, since the OCS malfunctions at times when my girlfriend is sitting there.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom