please help

i have a 1996 hyundai accent with the 1.5 doch my car is idling very low and the motor seems to cut out while accelerating the motor is smoking black smoke and the car is really hard on gas does anyone have any ideas ??

Reply to
accentdoch

1.5 dual overhead cam? All the 1.5's I've seen, which isn't many, were sohc.

Have you checked the spark plugs? If they look ok, I'd suggest doing a compression test.

Reply to
screwtape iii

Spark plugs & wires, engine coolant temp sensor(s), O2 sensor(s), air filter, gummed/clogged fuel injectors need cleaning.

Don't go ahead and start replacing things left and right. Because that can get very expensive, esp. if certain parts were still good.

Do you know a mechanic that woul give you a type of *pro-bono*?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Is the check engine light on? Is the car throwing any codes?

Reply to
John W

A 1996 Accent/Excel will have an SOHC engine DOHC wasnt introduced until later in 1997 to early 1998

Reply to
Mr Dean Grima

Actually, there was a 1.5 DOHC available in 1996 and 1997. It was called the Accent GT in the U.S.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Do you have an exhaust leak? If I recall correctly, the flex pipes were prone to leakage or breaking, and were in front of the oxygen sensor, causing much hesitation.

Reply to
hyundaitech