Why didnt Hyundai include an auto trans. filter ???

I dont believe there is a filter in the auto trans of my 2002 SantaFe. Is there ? Wouldnt a filter have been wise to design into it ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Actually, this transmission once had an external filter, but Hyundai deleted it in 2001. According to Hyundai, the flow through the external filter was so small that it wasn't doing anything substantive.

There's another filter inside, but it's impossible to replace without disassembling the transmission.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Im thinking of adding an aftermarket trans. filter like PermaCool if i can find a place to fit it in ; maybe in the inner fender cavity (??).

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Hyundaitech, Have you noticed a higher than normal failure rate with the Santa Fe's transmissions that might be attributable to the lack of a filter?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

This same basic transmission design has been used in Elantra (2001-present), Santa Fe (2001-present), Sonata (2001-present), Tiburon (2003-present), and Tucson (2005-present). It has a low failure rate. In addition, I see no increase in failure rate when comparing the earlier units (which had a filter) to the later units.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks.

Reply to