CV Boot/Halfshaft question

Hi, I have a 96 Eagle Talon and recently noticed that my front left CV boot is split and most of the grease is gone. It looks like the joint itself still has grease on it, but it's hard to tell. Should/Can I replace just the boot or do I have to replace the whole shaft? What happens if the CV joint does wear out before I can get it fixed? Is the car still drivable? That wheel just won't have power?

Thanks

Reply to
Dan

I'd price a reman halfshaft assembly, at least for older VW's the price of a reman shaft was only a couple bucks more than two boot kits and a tub of grease, so it made sense to save myself the work. You don't want to let it completely wear out; if the joint goes you will be walking.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Had similar prob. with an '89 Eagle, the outer boot ripped and dropped off. I got a replacement two-piece boot, sort of a bolt-together affair, and put that on. Working fine, and saved the b.s. of having to pull the half-shaft and replace the inner boot, and then realign, bolt the strut back on, etc etc.

However, I did spend a LOT of time cleaning out dirt, and old grease from the joint after the original boot failed. I then repacked the joint, installed the two-piece boot, and all's good now. Don't wait too long on getting another boot, whichever way ya go, you can do some serious damage to the joint. I was lucky, no damage, but I did spend a lot of time getting the old grease out.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03