roof rack for trooper

I am looking for a good roof rack for 2000 Trooper. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had any problems with installing one? Isuzu or after-market product

Thanks, Bob snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

Reply to
Bob

Never installed one, but removed a factory-installed ski rack from our 2002. There are some screw holes under the strips along the sides of the roof - easy as pie. Pain in the butt part is getting the strips back down solid. :-)

Anybody looking for a ski rack?

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Does 2000 model have rain gutters? My 1998 Trooper does not, it also does not have roof rails. I bought Thule with vehicle-specific doorframe clamps. Rear ones go on easily, and hold good. Front ones are PITA since roof relief changes towards the front, and if you put the rack in about middle of front door (where roof is still "normal") there is terrible wind noise. The rack can be attached near very front of the door frame, but then it takes a lot of tightening before the rack stays put. Scratches the paint a bit, too.

Other than that Thule is very well made, I've carried weights in excess of

100kg on it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Yep...should be there. Best I can tell there's no difference between our 94 and 02, though I didn't actually pull the strip off to check on the 94. On the edges of the roof is a rubber-like strip that clips/snaps into place. If you pop it loose, there are threaded screw holes in the front and back (well, middle or so of the vehicle and the back) to mount a rack on. The ski rack that came with the 02 looked pretty cool, but between the fact that I've never been skiing in my life and the noise it made at higher speeds...it had to go. If anyone's looking to buy a ski rack, let me know...it's collecting dust in the basement. :-)

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Any Pics

Reply to
Ploggo

Sorry for taking so long to reply...been on vacation for a week and lots going on! Take a look at

and you'llsee what it looked like before I took it off the Trooper. Thanks,

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

In my opinion the best roof rack for troopers without (or any other car without roofracks) is the SARIS roof rack (got mine on ebay) it takes me less then 5 minutes to put it on or take it off (no exageration) that is why I don't mind to put it on or take it off its so fast, it is my understanding that the thules and yakimas is a pain in the AAAAAA ..... and that is why people leave them on. Also if you tape (with electric tape) the channels underneat, it produces no noise they sell a rubber insert that i was going to order later but the tape worked so well that I didn't bother. you can also check rackattack.com for the clips and accessories best prices I found.

Reply to
baja-crzy