1979 Series II XJ6

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get replacement interior parts for a Series II XJ6?

Also- the Lucas question of the day:

Why, when I turn the steering wheel, does my horn beep? How do I remedy this?

Reply to
terry brennan

"terry brennan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Considering this is a world wide group, that is an interesting question. One would assume you would have to be American to come up with that little gem...LOL

Reply to
Ron the Barbarian

Terry, I am not sure on the XJ6 Series II, but on my 1967 420, there is a wire that runs through the steering column to power the horn. The horn goes off when the circuit is completed by pushing the horn button.

The circuit was also being completed every time I made a left turn because the insulating felt grommets that separated the two tubular sections of the steering column had disintegrated and the metal made contact whenever I turned.

It was MOST disturbing!!

I am not sure about the XJ6 -- but that is usually the cause on the earlier saloons,

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thanks for the input on the horn--even though it beeps whenever I turn the wheel, I like to treat the noise as a new feature--announcing my intentions to the world, i.e. "look out--here I come". Anyway, I suspect a disassemble of the steering wheel will reveal the gremlin involved.

Next question regarding Series II peccadilloes:

Why does the hood (bonnet for you Brits) pop open at most inappropriate times on the highway? My inspection reveals a bent latch--so maybe that will have to be straightened?

(Post Script: I have about 16 more of these issues to run through before I address the new interior and paint).

Reply to
terry brennan

It sounds like a logical scenario Thanks.

Reply to
terry brennan

I, too had a problem with my bonnet [hood] opening (at one side only though). The solution in this case was to unscrew the catch from the bonnet a little more - to make it engage with the catch completely.

Reply to
273k