Hard Top or Soft Top

I'm new to the Jeep segment of 4X4's and i want to purchase one, but does anyone know of i can interchange a soft top and a hard top? on either a 98' or 97' TJ sport? thank

-- paulakn

View this thread:

Send from

paulakn

AFAIK tops are interchangeable from '97-'02, i think. Around '03 they went with a slightly different latch system, if I am correct.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I believe you are correct and some mods would be needed to run the newer tops. Many of us run part year hard and part year soft.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Top / Latch from a 2003 works fine on my 99...you need a plug adapter to make the wiring connection from the top to the jeep. Found one at JeepsRUs.

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Maybe it's 04 then...my wife's 04 Unlimited has so much plastic crap on the windshield frame...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The hard top is a pain in the neck to install, remove and store, unless you have a barn with lots of unused space and a convenient beam to hang a hoist from. In the yard to garage, it is always getting in the way. Other than that, "all" TJs can interchange soft and hard tops, although there are some issues when you try to mix model years.

Earle

anyone know of i can interchange a soft top and a hard top? on either a 98' or 97' TJ sport? thanks

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes, the tops are interchangeable. Some TJs come with a Dual Top Option, both tops. The soft top can be raised or lowered whenever you want, but has to be removed when the hard top is in use. The hard top takes two people to remove, or you can buy or build a sling that can lift the top off for you and hang it from the ceiling in your garage.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Some of us can go all year with no top ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

But the Unlimited is a long-wheelbase TJ, and its top won't fit anything else anyhow.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Paulakn, You specifically asked about 1997 & 1998 right? 1997 started a new model design for the Wrangler so the soft and hard tops are exchangeable into the 2000's. I have a 1997 Wrangler Sport with both a soft and hard top. I have full metal doors so my soft top requires a 'door frame attachment' that mounts over the front doors to accomodate securing the soft top to the Jeep. I do not have a clue wether tops differ from soft doors & metal doors, I'm sure some one on the board will be able to clarify that point. Be clear that I'm talking OE - original equipment - when I say they are interchangeable. After market brands may require modifications which I've heard others complain there being a pain. There are many web sites and also catalogs that offer a variety of different roof options that are VERY cool. Two of the catalogs can be ordered at:

4wd.com and Also, I read somewhere that it is possible to store the soft top on the Jeep while using the hard top. There was a trick to doing this I believe. I paid no attention to this trick because it would interfer with using the rear hatch. You've come to the right place to inquire about Jeeps, I think some of the folks here were born in them. Good luck with your NEW 97/98 toy - they are fun. Steve in Michigan 1997 Wrangler Sport stock

paulakn wrote:

anyone know of i can interchange a soft top and a hard top? on either a 98' or

97' TJ sport? thanks
Reply to
popeyeball

Yeah, but all that plastic crap is on the windshield frame of the other models, too.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III