X-Type Sport

I am looking to buy an X-type 2.0 Sport within the next 2 weeks. Before I take the plunge I would appreciate anyone's experience of this motor car.

Reply to
Roy Flannery

Under powered, better go for the 2,5 litre or the diesel, you can tune the diesel up to 160 BHP

"Roy Flannery" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bl289b$9tk$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Lobby

I have recently bought one and to be honest, I would not recommend at all. The car pulls quite heavily to one side, its not that quiet; it has no oomph at all (put your foot down and nothing) and parts wise, is a rip off e.g. I wanted a cd changer putting in, Jaguar are the only ones that can fit them and they charge you £650 for a cheapo 6 cd changer to be installed.

Personally, I miss my BMW and would recommend you go for one of them instead.

If you want something to look the part then I must admit it looks impressive. However its all superficial in my opinion.

Reply to
Richard G Seddon

Why not go for a 2.5L Mondeo. It is a very similar car (X-Type is 1/3 Mondeo) and you will have money left over for a decent holiday.

Another option is go for a real Jaguar. For similar money you could get a very nice XJR, 0-60 in 5.3 secs, 370 bhp and would leave the X-Type for dead. People would still respect you too.

Reply to
Tim

At last, someone who is honest about the car.

Reply to
Tim

i cannot share your opinion. i drive an x-type (3.0 manual executive) for two years and am very satisfied. no problems so far and have done almost 45.000 miles with the car. especially in winter the awd is perfect. i tried also the 2.0 litre and would recommend at least the 2.5, but it depends under which conditions you use the car. i think you want to buy a car and not a cd-player/changer!!

ed

"Tim" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Edgar Palm

Having no interest at all in plugging the car, I have to say that I am very happy with my X-type, a 2.5 manual which I've had for 2 years & done 25,000 miles. Plenty of power for normal needs although a few things have gone wrong (like a faulty boot latch, seats belt not returning, noisy rear springs which were replaced) but I shouldn't think you'd get many problems if you bought one now as the car's been tried & tested. I haven't been outraged at the cost of servicing: £200 for 10,000 miles £234 for 20,000 miles On both occasions the car was collected & later returned to me at work at no charge. Yes, it will no doubt be a more expensive experience than a similarly priced Mondeo but this really is the first car where the brand & after sales attention really stands out from the other car dealers I regularly have to face. If your budget can stretch to a 2.5, go for it!

Reply to
GLL

Likewise, very satisfied with the car's build quality, performance and after sales service. And I have owned and driven loads of different cars.

As someone who is fairly new to this board can someone tell me - is TIM some kind of snob ?

Reply to
DavidG

Hey, *everybody* here is some kind of snob! Especially those of us living in the wilds of eastern Wisconsin where no one else even knows what the hell an X-Type 3.0 Sport 5-speed *is*!

But in 'Phoenix Red', they sure see it coming ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; love that car)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

C.R.

Did you purchase from Bergstrom Premier?

Mark '02 X-Type 2.5

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Nope. Shopped there, located a 'base' Phoenix Red 2.5 5-speed in Tyson's Corners, VA, and then bought the car (with 21K miles and everything but heated seats) on eBay in College Station, TX, for less. Then, took it back to Premier for service.

I like the dealership so far and, having been open less than a year, they're anxious to build a clientele. I won't hesitate to go back there, as it's my closest dealership. Now we just gotta wangle a club discount or somethin' for when the warranty expires ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; redlined that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I purchased my pre-owned "X" from them last month. I've purchased a lot of cars, both new and preowned, in my lifetime... and never have I been treated like I just bought the most expensive thing on the lot like I was at Bergstroms. I'm really, really impressed so far.

Mark '02 X-Type 2.5

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Did you notice, right down the little hall between the service department and their exotic coffees & mediocre-but-free pastry-containing Waldorf-like waiting area, a couple of computers where you can log on (@ no charge, of course) and check your email while-u-wait?

So tell us about *your* new X ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Drivin' ours today!)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Absolutely. A guy could live in the guest restrooms, too! Another nice touch was about a week after we took delivery there's a big box on the front porch from Bergstrom Automotive Group. Opened it up and there's a "thank you" card from the management, 2 loaves of home baked bread and a dozen home made monster chocolate chip cookies.

My '02 2.5 was a lease return with 29K miles on the clock. You'd think no one ever drove it. You could eat out of the engine bay. I don't think anyone ever sat in the passenger or back seats. Certified pre-owned, so they bumped the warrantee to 100K with all scheduled maintenance "on the house" till 50K miles. It's black on black. Pretty standard. None of the big option packages, but I love it.